Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 65 hardtop in restoration. The car didn't come with any rocker panel moldings on it and under the pain, filler etc, I didn't find any holes for the clips. I take it that these were an option? I have considered buying repros from ponderosa, does anybody know how well the repros fit and is there a template or something for drilling holes for the clips?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mine came originally with moldings, and I bought repros from Matt (at Ponderosa). The clips had one elongated hole, and one round hole and riveted on easily IIRC. Of course, I had to drill the holes in the POS repro front fender. P/S fit ok at the fender. D/S Fender left a lot to be desired. Moldings are thin, and bend easily. I wouldn't get them until you are ready to drill the holes and test-fit them. Left about 1/4" under the door sill, and trial-fit the molding to set a baseline on the fender. The repro end clips (with the captured bolt) leave a little to be desired (bolt easily breaks free).

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The repro rocker molding have come a LONG way. Do not buy the kind with the black tape for the stripes. The good repros have black paint now and, while I haven't used them, appear as good as the oringinals.

I used Ford moldings which, as of a few months ago, where still widely available. The price is higher, but the quality and fit is perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts