Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished replacing the driver side rocker and frame rail and floorpanel. I have removed th quarter and put in new trunk floor. My ?? is do I put on the new quarter and then tackle the passenger side rockers etc. OR do I leave the body parts off until both sides are done?? THANX Blake

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
are you doing a good job of supporting teh car while it is cut apart? lots of support is good... if you are doing full quarters or skins, it doesn't matter if you have them both cut off at the same time, just as long as you braced everything properly before cuttin them off, and also, you are lining up the trunk lid, and tail light panel, and doors as you reassemble. you don't want to screw that up. car bodies are assembled in order, 1/4's, doors, fenders, hoods... reason being, the quarters are welded on, and if they are straight and the taillight panel and decklid lines up good, your doors will line up nice to the rocker panel and the front of the quarter... then, you shouldn't have a problem lining up teh fenders to the doors, and so on... it's a big game sometimes, and lots of times it takes major major time to get them done. lots and lots of shaping and moving and cleaning and measuring and fitting, prefitting, final fitting, clamping, unclamping, well you get the picture... it's not easy...

just take your time, and get as much of the car assembled before you do any welding. you don't want to start welding, only to find out that nothing fits right. also, after final clamping and placing. just tack weld the panels in, and then test fit all teh parts again, you never know if things could have moved around on you. better to only have to break a few tack welds, than try to drill out an entire 1/4 panel...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
personaly, i would put the new quarter on first... might as well finish that project before you start on the next one. the quarter panels, although it may not seem like it, are an important structural part of the car. If your car is a complete shell it doesn't really matter, but if it still has all the parts in it, i would be woried about cutting too much off of the car and having it bend while dissasembled.

Listen to John too- you need to make sure that your quarter panel lines up with the rest of your parts. make sure the trunk lid and door is on when you are putting on the quarter. idealy, you aligh the door with the original quarter panel than cut the quarter off and use the door to line the new quarter up. you said that you already have the quarter cut off, so your kind of stuck in that respect.
hope my random thoughts helped a bit

- Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts