Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much(depth) should the poly lock nut engage the thread on a rocker stud? The stud that I broke only had about 3/8" of thread engaged in the nut. This doesn't seem enough to me.

Summit and Edelbrock both recommended ARP kit 134-7101 for my studs, but those would be the same length that I already have. It would seem to me that it would be better to go up to the next length which would be kit 134-7104. That would give me .145 additional overall length (1.895 vs 1.750) which would translate to more thread engagement. The ARP catalog lists the longer set for use with roller rockers, which I have.

Feedback please!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
A rule of thumb is to have a minimum of one thread diameter of engagement. That means your 3/8" studs need at least 3/8" of thread engagement.

Good work! I think you found it!

I'm using the ARP studs they list for "Chevrolet" PN 134-7104, which are the ones you mention. ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. They list as Chevy. Thanks for all your input on this. I appreciate the help.

Oh... and Edelbrock has only one guy for the whole company that deals with warranty issues. I left a voice mail for him and his canned message says he'll get back to me in 24-48 hours. Not exactly stellar customer service. Meanwhile I'll just spend the $50 to put my car back together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts