Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick post to show my install of Rocketman's (Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations) ammeter conversion to voltmeter in my '65. I have a '66 instrument cluster in car, and this is how it all went together.

First, the box arrived very well packed and came with the converted ammeter, a set of directions on how to wire the ammeter, and another set of directions on how to cut a hole in the back panel of the cluster to install the ammeter due to the thicker size after conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I marked the center of the square hump that is above the ammeter mounting location on the back panel, center punched it, drilled a pilot hole, and then cut a 1.25" hole with a bi-metal hole saw. Rocketman's instructions say to cut a 1.2" hole, but I didn't have a hole saw that size. No one is going to see this once it's in the car, so I'll live with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All Done

Install the ammeter/volt meter, and put it all back together. I hooked it up to the battery in my car, and it worked, so it's all good. I'm still in the middle of my wiring project so can't tell you how it looks while the engine is running. Looking forward to installing the LED lights when they arrive and get all this back together.

Hope this helps someone further on down the line if they are pondering this conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I like that you used the 'proper' eyebrow trim for your 65 panel.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
A bit confused - did you already have a voltmeter installed?:

Also do you have a pic of the assembled cluster from the back after the mod?

Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sent my ammeter to Rocketman, got it back within two weeks, and it works beautifully. He does excellent work.

Bob O'Hara

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A bit confused - did you already have a voltmeter installed?:

Paul - sorry, didn't see this message when you posted it. Yes, I had a voltmeter installed, but it was a flat-faced aftermarket one that fit, but let a lot of light around it. It didn't have the raised edges to seal the light from leaking around the edge. It was one of those things that bothered me a bit. In the AM, I'll post up a pic of the back of the panel - it's still not installed in the car, so no problem.

·
Registered
36,825 Posts
Yes, I had a voltmeter installed, but it was a flat-faced aftermarket one that fit, but let a lot of light around it.
What voltmeter was it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, Just sent mine to Rocketman and can hardly wait! I've heard nothing but positives about him and am looking forward to it. I also just recieved a 8k mini tach and it is perfect. Wiring here I come.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Took exactly 7 days to ship it to him and get it in the mail. I'm converting my wide sweep speedometer to the five gauge setup. Changing the ampmeter to volts simplifies the install quite a bit. Also I have always like the volt meters better anyway.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a picture of the back of the cluster after I installed the Rocketman voltmeter.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts