Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 4 weeks out of forum, because home 56kB was less tempting than the pool during the day and the carage during night.

After swapping the horrible 7-leaf doublepacked to used 4-leaf pack lowered the rear substantially and cutting the exhaust pipes after the mufflers and before rear axle, the pipe rattles were gone and I could concentrate on driving, it felt really good on country road corner carving.

Then I finally installed my 3/4 rear bar, the front bar is only 13/16. The combo is not balanced according to the safety advisors. The other parts of the suspension/steering are TCP manual R'n'P steering, -1" UCA drop, -1" 620 coils and Konis set in middle position and used 4leaf pack and KYB Gas-a-justs. I think the stiff front coils offset a bit the rear bias in bars.

I have driven some 3-400 miles and one slalom event with the rear bar.
The first impression was that the harshness increased substantially compared to softness of just having lousy springs and KYBs.
The second was a definitely positive, the car seemed be to undulating at highway speeds when the there were larger wallows in the road, this was annoying when combined with bump steer that horisontal tie rods in TCP make. No more.

I haven't yet lost the rear end, but the speeds have been safe. During slalom I unfortunately had automatic traction control (slipping clutch) and badly bleeded brakes, so I wasn't able to create necessary weight transfer for rear to create moments. So I can't say whether turn-in or out-of-corner is much better or worse but trailing throttle oversteering didn't seemed to be a problem at those speeds, and the car didn't push as bad when I went too fast into corner. During everyday driving I have felt the rear move when cornering on stone streets. I haven't pushed it very much on long fast corners yet, but at the speeds I have driven, I can certainly feel the car turning itself. I just have to learn not to panic and cause weight transfer at long sweeping corners.

Next plans, with possible aluminium heads and relocating battery to the trunk I might swap in 480 springs and 1" front bar. Until then I try to exploit the current set up wisely.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I think the plans for the 1" bar would be a good idea. Just a caution, when you do lose the rear end it gets very exciting very quickly. When you try to correct it remember that you only need small steering inputs.

You might want to consider going to a large empty parking lot, or track and purposely losing the rear end traction to get a feel for how it responds.

I thnk the best combo is good sized front and rear bars, relatively soft springs, and "stiff" shocks.

John Harvey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts