Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam ready to install my roll bar not sure if I should mount the main tubes on the carpet or under. Suggestion's and pictures would help.

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Even a bolt in should be bolted directly to metal. Mine has welded in bolt in points with the option to weld. I have it bolted in but will weld in before I finish, not only for safety but for body stiffness.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Another Thing: The botton tubes better be welded to a 4" X 4" 1/4" flat plate. The NHRA is going to check the mounting. Also, do check with any sanctioning body for their specs unless this is just a "show bar".

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another Thing: The botton tubes better be welded to a 4" X 4" 1/4" flat plate. The NHRA is going to check the mounting. Also, do check with any sanctioning body for their specs unless this is just a "show bar".

Actually the NHRA rule for a roll bar requires a minimum 6" x 6" x 1/8" plate and the plates can be bent to form the shape of the existing mounting area.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
A few years back I was giving thought to a 6 point cage. Partially for increased stiffness of the unibody and partially because I had thoughts of doing the standing mile with the ECTA. I doubt I’ll ever do the standing mile so that eliminates half of my needs.

A roll bar or roll cage IMO is part of a safety system. The other parts are helmet, belts and correct seating. Without those in use I viewed the cage as a liability. I would not want to hit any part padding or not with my body during a accident. So no cage or roll bar for me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
A roll bar or roll cage IMO is part of a safety system. The other parts are helmet, belts and correct seating. Without those in use I viewed the cage as a liability. I would not want to hit any part padding or not with my body during a accident. So no cage or roll bar for me.

I tried to explain this little factoid to a friend of mine...that once you put in a roll bar/cage, you cannot safely drive it on the street without a helmet (he had stock seats & belts), and forget about ever having anyone in the back seat again - especially the grandkids without helmets. I also mentioned that LEOs and insurance companies might not take too kindly to having what they consider "racing equipment" installed in his car. He ignored my advice and put a 4 point in a daily driver. :shrug:

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I tried to explain this little factoid to a friend of mine...that once you put in a roll bar/cage, you cannot safely drive it on the street without a helmet (he had stock seats & belts), and forget about ever having anyone in the back seat again - especially the grandkids without helmets. I also mentioned that LEOs and insurance companies might not take too kindly to having what they consider "racing equipment" installed in his car. He ignored my advice and put a 4 point in a daily driver. :shrug:

There’s a Maverick running around by me. DOT legal drag tires, gutted interior, 6 point cage, built 302. It looks like he street races. Did you notice I didn’t mention race seat or even seat belts? None! A stock seat with no seat belts of any type.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts