Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local ford dealer yesterday flipping through there Ford racing catalog and I noticed Ford is selling a kit to convert a small block from standard cam bearings to roller bearings. Has anyone tried these yet? is it worth the cost, did you get more HP as a result?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It's not talking about cam bering but the cam and lifter itself. The later 302s had different blocks to allow 1 piece rear main seals and roller cams. I'm not sure how converstions work but It does sound intersting.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I in the process of doing that to my 615 and know a lot of people that have. But it is a race only thing since it restrics all the oil that goes to the rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
We have been running rollerized CAM Bearings, in our racing engines, for quite some time. They are used in conjuncion with Roller lifters and the high spring pressures associated with racing cams.

They work very, very well. The shops around here charge about $500 for the conversion, including the bearings. You need either a special cam with larger bearing dias, or a steel sleeve that is pressed onto your existing cam. We have used both styles and both work well.

Your cam will spin freely in the block and we saw a 10 degree reduction in oil temp. That option offers an immediate reduction in friction which frees up some HP. It is $500 well spent in my opinion....

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I had my early 289 converted to roller cam. All it took was a phone call to Comp Cams and they set me up with a Retrofit kit and a special ground cam based on the 282 cam I wanted (Mine is a 218h).

The retro kit is basically a add-on retainer that holds the roller lifters in place. The special cam was to accommodate the different cam bearing sizes adn I'm running dual valve springs.

Definitely worth it!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I got curious also and I googled this

Hotrodders Bulletin Board: Ford Race Engine
... This is an item some Ford racers thought they needed because a 4-bolt ... Roller cam
bearings are another great way to waste your limited racing finances. ...
www.hotrodders.com/cgibin/ubb/15/000945

They have moved and require registration but that last line has one opinion "waste of limited resources".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts