Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stangers,
I have a mexican block. Early blocks don't have the tall lifter boss for the roller lifters. You can use late roller lifters but they stick out of the bore more than they are supposed to. I have been told that some run them this way with no problem. I know that I can get a custom cam, with smaller base circle, that will drop the lifters back down so that they are in the right place with respect to the bore. I need a blower cam so it doesn't matter that I have to get one. Any of you guys running roller cams in early block? What did you do?

·
6,968 Posts
I have read 2 or 3 articles on this, but did not do it in my own engine build up. Since I haven't done it you might want to take my information with a grain of salt. However, here's what I THINK the answer to your question is.

You have to buy a retrofit kit which is available from Crane for sure and other vendors possibly. It consists of special roller lifters, a spider, and misc. hardware to install a roller cam in an older ford block with the shorter lifter bores. It is my understanding that you have to get a roller cam that is compatible with the kit.

When I looked at this, it appeared all the parts including the cam would run you about $600.00 That's why I ended up going with a regular hydraulic cam. One other note, based on what I was hearing you can use a solid roller cam in an old block without the retrofit kit. The solid roller cams I saw were all pretty much "race-only" grinds.

For me it boiled down to the fact that you can buy a new cylinder block for the cost of the retrofit kit...so I think if I were just head-over-heals in love with a roller cam I'd just get a new block...if I were rebuilding the engine anyway. If you are just working on the top of the engine, maybe the retrofit kit would make a lot of sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
20,867 Posts
I haven't done it or know anyone who has personally. The only thing I've ever read about what you want to do, is from some one who did. He reported that the lifters "wobbled" a little bit at full lift. Maybe some are getting away with it using a stock lift cam, but I think anything else is asking for trouble.

About a year ago, I got a screaming deal on a rebuilt 302 longblock. I planned on using a roller retrofit. I also bought a set of GT40P heads too. Looking in hind sight, if I had to do it again, I'd buy a new roller block! I've decided to use a flat tappet cam due to the fact that I'm running cast pistons and really don't want to dump more money into it.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts