Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking input on a good roller-cam for a 347 running a carb. Most of the EFI grinds have a wider lobe spacing. Does this make difference?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Look at Comp Cans' roller cams for carb engines. I have the 35-420-8 grind. Performs very well.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I have a comp cams - xtreme energy (have to get the number) for a 351, in my 331. Lobe seperation is only around 110 IIRC. Very nice and streetable.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
With a roller block you can easily run Comp Cams Magnum 280HR (35-430-8) or 286HR (35-450-8) Cams. Idle is somewhat noticeable but not too severe like mechanical flat tappets.

Although I'm running a 281HR for a retro roller block. I've got great torque and strong power curve from 2000-5000 RPM.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Not sure if this would be a cam for a 347 but I run the X303 cam on a carb motor and it runs very well. No issues or problems with it. I will some time in the near furture install the Z cam in place of the X cam.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using a factory roller block & lifters. Are the factory lifters any good or should I be running something else?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'm using a factory roller block & lifters. Are the factory lifters any good or should I be running something else?
I can't say I've seen negative info on the factory lifters.

How much power are you looking for? I'll guess you have the flow numbers on the heads.

Buddy Rawls spec'd a cam for me and Comp did the grind. I'd use him again in a heartbeat for any high performance buildups in the future.

His site: http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm

He's easy to work with, honest and knows his cam stuff. ;)

I know some of the guys here on the VMF also have used Ed Curtis at www.flowtechinduction.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts