Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a difference should I expect when using a roller idler arm on a PS equiped car? I know the difference on a manual steering car would be more drastic. I'm getting one from Opentracker, but I just want to get your opinions. 1969 car if that matters.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
You would notice an improvement in the feel of your steering with a roller idler arm and the car would be more stable under braking.

The main reason to use a roller idler arm is to keep the passenger side of the center link from moving up and down under braking or on rough road conditions. The drivers side is held by the steering box with grease and bearings, it can't move up or down. In stock form, the passenger side is held by the idler arm with rubber bushings, it does move up and down. When the passenger side moves up or down, it changes the toe angle of the right front tire causing erratic steering. The rubber bushing idler arm is one of the reasons these cars are known for darting around under braking. The roller idler arm also gives better driver feedback than the rubber bushing unit.

The fact that the roller idler arm does ease up the steering a bit is a byproduct, though that is a very popular reason to use one for the manual steer cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts