Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running comp Pro Magnum rockers on my 351w w/World heads. I was wondering if anybody that is running these could tell me if they are suppose to me noisy? I have adjusted them loose and tight and it does not seem to make much differance. They are very quite until motor comes up to operating temp.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's what I have on my engine, but I'm a week or so out from firing it up. I don't know of any reason why roller rockers should be any noiser than stamped ones...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've seen that complaint more than once about those rockers. ;)

Some put up with it and others have changed rockers.

I've got Scorpions......and bad hearing. I don't think their noisey. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Are these the Comp Cams Magnum "roller tipped" ones that look like stamped steel, but have a roller tip? If so, I ran those for a while, finally just got sick of the noise and yanked them off. They sound like a solid lifter cam on steroids. I ran them with 3 differ. I was trying to use the "rail" types and the rails just make a ton of noise. I tried them with 3 different cam/lifter sets before yanking them off of the engine. Everyone I've ever talked to that's run these rockers has complained about the noise.

·
7,010 Posts
I using the comp aluminum ones and I think they're loud. I've tried adjusting them numerous times and it hasn't helped.

I assumed that all roller rockers were that way.

Phil

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've used the comp roller tip rail type rockers and the engine was as quiet as a stocker. I really can't see where a rocker arm would contribute to a noisy valvetrain.

On my Coug with a Crane hydraulic retrofit hyd. roller I have the Crane Gold rockers and experience no valvetrain noise...

I have owned a very mild comp cams cam that sounded like a solid, the company said it was because of the "ramp angles"... Was still noisy after a lifter change, used std. rail type rockers.

I think you guys are barkin' up the wrong tree...Blaming the rocker arms for valvetrain noise... ;) ::

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I've had the Comp Cams roller tip rockers in both of our Mustangs and neither one had any valve train noise. When I switched the vert to Crane Cobra 1.7 roller rockers along with the GT40P heads, all I get is valve train noise. Especially after the engine comes up to operating temperature. After several adjustment attempts that didn't change a thing,I've been learning to live with it. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
My personal theory is that with no friction on the tips because of the rollers, the rails hit the valve tips faster, harder, and more often, causing the noise. I tried running these rockers with a stock cam, a Perfomer RPM cam, and a Performer cam (all 3 with new lifters and 2 different engines). I finally got so sick of the noise, the roller tips are on the shelf, and putting the stamped steel ones back in SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the valve train noise. It's hard to believe I'm barking up the wrong tree when the noise all started when I went to these rockers, and went away when I took them out.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
My personal theory is that with no friction on the tips because of the rollers, the rails hit the valve tips faster, harder, and more often, causing the noise.
John, I'm sure you're right because you stopped the noise when you went back to the stock rockers...However with the valves adjusted correctly with zero lash and .030-.060 preload there should be no clearance from the camshaft to the valve tip to cause any noise.....

Unless you bought a Comp Cams 252H like me that made the motor sound like a tomato juice can full of BB's.. ::

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Im running scorpions and my car sounds like a sewing machine, previously had the crane gold rockers and had the same sounds. Cant hear it at an idle but going down the road its pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This was an interesting post. I too have recently put Crane Roller Rockers on my new Edelbrock RPM heads and notice more valve train noise than stock. It appears that the extra noise is a product "feature" that either you live with or try to eliminate by installing other types of rocker arms. Glad I'm not alone... ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts