Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to find a decent set of Roller Rockers for my 69 351w engine. They need to be 1.6 Ratio with 3/8 mounting stud size.
I know little about roller rockers except their are many brands out there and they can get expensive,

Does anyone have a recommendation on who makes a decent set for my engine that wont break the bank?

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
No, I didn't wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning! I just hate seeing people wasting money on parts they don't really need. If you were building a race motor then you'd know where to get decent roller rockers. If you're not building a race motor then there's really no NEED for roller rockers AND when you buy inexpensive roller rockers you're just looking for another opportunity for part failure. Just get a good, name-brand set of stamped steel rockers (or use your own OEM's if they're not worn out). Take the money you saved and spend it on a hardened oil pump driveshaft or something else that will ADD to reliability and performance.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Not to mention, you can not use your factory valve covers with full roller rockers. Maybe you can use them if you also put that spacer under them.

I am using roller tip rockers only because they came with the cam kit I bought many years ago. It still uses the ball on the stud, but the tip rolls on the valve end to keep from pushing it horizontally while opening the valve vertically.

Because of my Comp Cams 280H, I have had to replace my press in studs with screw in studs. Yep, everything you do requires more $$.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Merits of their need aside, Scorpion makes a good set, full roller with roller fulcrum and roller tip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used Scorpion roller rockers on a 5.0 build years ago. They are really nice rockers. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again on whatever I build in the fhture.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I found aftermarket rockers in three distinct price ranges. Quality roller tip rockers, like Comp Cams 1431-16 at about $160, Scorpion Blue Race Series 1017 at $260 and Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rocker Arms 1631-16 at $350.
I got rid of my aluminum roller rockers when I freshened my engine and went with steel Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rollers. I am not suggesting that you go that route. I purchased mine with my next "stroker" motor in mind and don't want to buy twice. I think the Comp 1431's would be a good "budget friendly" choice for you.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have Comp Ultra Pro Magnum and couldn’t be happier with them.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
If only going with a roller tip, I wouldn't even bother. Most of the friction comes from the fulcrum.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If only going with a roller tip, I wouldn't even bother. Most of the friction comes from the fulcrum.
Ditto. Roller tip is half-assing it.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Furthermore, on an episode of "Engine Masters", they discovered the roller tip rockers had so much flex, they were literally much worse than the factory, non-roller tip rockers.

As Woodchuck pointed out, roller rockers will do pretty much nothing over factory rockers on an engine that isn't consistently winding to 8,000+ RPM. However, if you're installing aluminum heads with screw-in, adjustable rocker studs, you need new rockers anyway and decent roller rockers aren't all that expensive.

Harland-Sharp rockers are reasonably priced and have a long track record of reliability. I'm running Lunati roller rockers and they're quite spiffy.

So, if you want roller rockers, cool, but be sure to buy quality for reliability and don't expect any boost in performance.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I had a set of the Comp stainless roller rockers that broke one of the circlips that hold the trunnion needle bearings together. It fortunately didn't do any damage to the engine but could have. I found the broken clip stuck to the magnetic oil pan drain plug. Summit sent me a new one for free. The point of this is, if you use items like this, be sure and frequently inspect them, or you will risk loosing your engine.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ive got scorpion rocker arms in my car and am seriously considering going back to a stock rocker arm over the winter. The sewing machine noise of a roller rocker valvetrain drives me crazy.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't believe it's the roller aspect of the rocker that causes the clatter. My aluminum rollers made the same noise you are describing. I installed the steel Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rollers and the valvetrain noise was almost eliminated

·
Registered
842 Posts
The mid 90s Cobra Mustangs came stock with Crane Energizer roller rockers. I don't no why the Ford engineers chose these, but I guess it proves them to be at least a reliable design.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I don't believe it's the roller aspect of the rocker that causes the clatter. My aluminum rollers made the same noise you are describing. I installed the steel Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rollers and the valvetrain noise was almost eliminated
Ditto, I can’t hear mine at all.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The mid 90s Cobra Mustangs came stock with Crane Energizer roller rockers. I don't no why the Ford engineers chose these, but I guess it proves them to be at least a reliable design.
Interesting that the set of Aluminum rockers that I replaced with the Comp steel set was a set of Crane Energizers (shown on the left).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Interesting that the set of Aluminum rockers that I replaced with the Comp steel set was a set of Crane Energizers
I got Energizers on my 347", they are pretty silent. I seen talk about that some cams with modern agressive profiles can be noisy. Here's a pic from the web of the Ford/Crane rockers. they says Crane but also have a Ford part number.
cranerocker.jpg

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I think the Crane/Ford rockers are a 1.7 ratio. Be sure and check P/V clearance prior to using

1 - 20 of 25 Posts