Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a set of roller tip rockers for my 351 I am building.
This is not a high performance rebuild. It is just street driving with hopefully some track driving in the future, but I do not know if that will happen.

What Brand/model should I get? Does it really matter? Do you need more information?

·
Registered
749 Posts
For a street engine that is a waste of money IMO.
Just run the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
We used Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers on the son's '68 302. Recommended by my machine shop since the originals were shot anyway. He said Comp claims up to 30hp increase. Not sure if it would really be that much but I'm sure they don't hurt.

Only about 600 miles so far but no problems.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would recommend the Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers as well. This will work great with your setup. You will be wasting your money on aluminum roller folcrum style rockers.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Roller rockers are a good idea even if you do not have a performance engine. The roller tips save wear on your valve tips, improve valvetrain consistency, and increase hp through less friction.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I agree w/ adding roller lifters & have them on my rebuilt '65 289 ( still sitting on engine stand ). My engine rebuilder guy did not recommend adding a roller cam for the street though. This guy builds engines for the dirt track racers & know his stuff. I was ready to add a roller cam until he mentioned this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What has his reasoning for not using a roller cam on the street?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Roller rockers, if you have flat tappet cam with not that wild specs, standard rockers will do. As you said performance is not the priority. I have several track days with old cast rockers. Put your money on getting more seat time before putting money on engine. (Provided it is reasonably healthy, no leaks, no temp problems, good oil pressure)

Cruise said:
What has his reasoning for not using a roller cam on the street?
I can only think of cost aspect. Flat tappet cams are cheaper. Cam plus lifters can be bought under $100. No need to change distributor gear. Then old flat tappet spec springs are not up to roller ramps

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I went with the full roller Comps on my 69 with the 302. Was all set to go with the Magnum roller tipped rockers, but I found the full rollers on ebay for a song, and with no usage on them. Too good to pass on. Way overkill for my little engine, but I figured, value for the buck spent, I came away with a few extra horse's that I would not have had, and for less $. As far as the roller cam, to me, after building this one recently, and now going thru all the controversy over oil reformulations and older engines, I'd definitely go with a roller cam. Plus, no break in time is needed. Don't have to worry about wiping out the cam lobes because of oil, or zinc. They are expensive, but factory grinds aren't as bad on $ if you want a mild / stock engine. Even some of the aftermarket cam manufacturers have decent deals on milder high performance cams now. It would be money well spent, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I just order my comps from summit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts