Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use roller rockers in conjunction with a non-roller cam and standard hydraulic
lifters? It seems to me that true roller rockers would be much better than the roller-tip
rockers that use the old-fashioned fulcrum. I don't see why they couldn't be used but
I've not heard of anyone doing so. Also, would I have to go to the tall-boy valve covers
if I use the roller rockers?

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Yes, you can use roller rockers with any engine, as long as they are designed for that engine.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43865988.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why? What do tall covers do for you that stockers don't? And other than long term durability,
what is the benefit of roller rockers? I can't imagine any significant performance gain with them.

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The main thing they do is keep the taller roller rockers and polylocks (or stud girdle) from denting what would normally be the stock height covers...

In my case, secondarily since I use a composite cover, they dampen valvetrain noise...

No performance gain...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about performace gains from the roller rockers themselves? Do they buy me
anything other than reduced wear long-term?

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind...First I would recommend you check the roller tip to valve alignment. Years ago I found out that I was using too long a pushrod and the roller tip wasn't centered on the valve tip. The misalignement screwed up the valve, retainer and rocker. Also if you are using poly-locs you should have the longer rocker studs so you have enough threads to tighten the loc (learned this the hard way too.)
Second the valve covers being produced by Scott Drake all use a redesigned oil baffle that will clear rollers. So you can have Cobra style valve covers and roller rockers.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Reduced friction can net you a HP or two at higher rpms...

Mainly, they are an accurate, low-friction way of actuating the valves....and allow for less oil to be sent to the valvetrain area, if you are so inclined....I routinely modify the oiling systems of my solid lifter small blocks to divert oil away from the valvetrain and to the mains and rods...this would be difficult to do without the antifriction characteristics of the roller rockers...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, given all that info and the nature of this motor, I think I'll stick with the recommendation of the
guys refurbing my heads (PowerHeads) and go with the roller-tip rockers (Crane Magnums 1.6:1)
They have had experience with the Magnums and since they're assembling the rockers onto the
heads anyway, I may as well go with what they know. Thanks for the input dudes.

(and this post should put me into wrench-turner status - woo-hoo!)

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My advice is to spend a little more money and buy the Stainless steel roller rockers manufactured by Crower.

They are very expensive, but being made of steel are stronger than aluminum and thus are smaller in size and fit under stock valvecovers. By the time you deal with taller valvecovers, extensions or whatever.... you're almost there anyway and your still not running the best parts. I admit, these rockers may be overkill on a street car but they do solve the problem.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

1 - 10 of 10 Posts