Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help in advance...here goes: Im trying to decide between crane's roller tip rockers and just full blown rollers. What the big difference between the two and what changes would I have to make for either since i have pressed in studs? Thanks for the help.
-Ryan

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The roller tipped Cranes are a nice iimprovement over standard rail rockers. I'm running them on my son's 289 in his '65. They are just like the standard adjustable rail rockers, but have a roller on the tips to reduce friction at that point. They are no comparison to true roller rockers, but require zero modifications to use them.

With full roller rockers, you'll most likely need guide plates, which then require hardened push rods and screw in studs. The big difference is that roller rockers are on rollers, in order to reduce friction at the fulcrum.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have Comp Cams roller tip rockers. They are are an improvement over stock in that the roller tip reduces friction and reduces side loading on the valve thereby reducing guide wear. They also have a longer slot for use with higher lift cams. These are clearly stronger than stock when you compare the two side by side. No modifications are required if you use standard lock nuts. Poly locks may require either taller valve covers or drilling 1" holes in the baffles to clear the taller nuts.

Full roller rockers offer a much greater reduction in friction by using a roller fulcrum. Poly lock nuts are required for these. You will need tall valve covers to clear the nuts and rockers. Most are made of aluminum which is lighter, but not as durable. I understand they are more susseptable to wear around the pushrod cups and to stress cracks. Some machining may be needed at the stud boss, you would want to ask the tech guys at the various manufacturers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, you guys are a Godsend...when you say "rail-type" what are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
66Coupe is right. If your not looking to do any valve train improvements other than adding roller tip rockers, Comp's Magnum roller rockers are the way to go. But if you want to see/feel improvement in performance, you should consider upgrading to screw in studs, guide plates and full roller rockers, not to mention increasing valve sises and doing a little port work. Anyway, If I were to chose, I'd go for the Comp Magnums. Less friction is always a good thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts