Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I installed Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts on my 65. My passenger side stock motor mount had blown and the engine had moved a bit and my passenger tri-y was up against the shock tower...hard. The reason I even noticed this was I stared to get weird noise and vibration from my exhaust that was also jammed against the convertible brace under the driveshaft tunnel.

After I installed the adjustable motor mounts I easily adjusted the motor to its happy place and torqued to spec. A year later and only about 200 miles I start getting the exhaust vibration/noise and sure enough the engine has moved. I readjusted and torqued to 60 ft. lbs (10 over spec) and we'll see.

It is the side to side adjustment that is slipping. It looks to have lock nuts on the bolts, but I can't get the bolt turned enough to engage the lock nut. Although, I don't think it is loosening because it was a bear to loosen. Any one else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've had my RM mounts in the '66 for about 4 years and never had a problem with them loosening. After checking mine, I noticed that the length on that fastener is just barely long enough to engage the lock nut. One extra washer anywhere and I would be looking at the same problem you're experiencing.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bolt is just a tad shorter - although when I went to re-adjust loosening the nut was a bear so it didn't seem like it had loosened, just the both bolts slid a bit to the passenger side. It is possible I did not torque it down enough initially. I definitely did this time.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Do you have the same condition on the opposite side? I would check the torque of every bolt (on both mounts).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts