Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you might recall from prior posts, I have been laboring for about 6 weeks over a broken clutch cable on the 70. I unsuccessfully tried to install the Ron Morris Performance kit in my 70. As the current MustangPlus catalogs lists, some fabrication is required. Unfortunately, I am spacially challenged and could not figure out what fabrication that might be.

I talked with Ron Morris himself on the phone and he assured me that some 69/70 owners have purchased and installed the kit, with fabrication. Although the kit could be adapted by those more skilled than myself, he agreed to speak with MustangPlus and authorized a return to them of the kit with a full refund. Now that is good customer service. The question of how to get the kit to work on a 69/70, and whether it works on a car with air conditioning, is still a head scratcher for me.

Now the extraordinary thing is that Ron called me later, after already expressing his willingness to authorize the refund, and offered to pick up a competitors kit from mustangplus and drive it up to Sear Point this coming weekend so that I could have something to install in my car. He felt bad that the car had been down for so long (through no fault of his own, of course), and just wanted to do something to help get my "baby" back on the road. Wow, to my thinking that was not a customer service issue, but just being a great guy.

D.B. Performance Engineering, the company that sold me the kit that I had in the car, and supplied the cable which broke twice, is providing me with a free replacement clutch cable. More importantly, he explained why the cable broke. I had the linkage adjusted too loosely, which caused overtravel, stretching the cable strands. Danny, the owner, explained that this has been brought to his attention in a few prior instances over the years.

The proper way to install and adjust the D.B. linkage is to install the top threaded large diameter shank in the firewall, about 1/2 of its length (leaving about 1 inch of threaded shank on either side of the firewall. (my tip is to add the largest diameter fender washers you can find, but thick ones, to spread the load across the firewall. There are no washers in the kit and I actually pulled the nut right through the firewall at one point in the past) Next you insert the small diameter threaded shank through the hole in the bellhousing and through the clutch fork. Put the "cone shaped" spacer/washer on the shank and then thread a nut down the shank. This tightens the clutch fork and pulls the throwout bearing towards the pressure plate fingers. You want to remove ALL freeplay so that the fork has no slop and the throwout bearing is just resting against the fingers. Then, turn the nut down two more complete turns to put the proper amount of preload on the throwout bearing. How about that! Never knew that.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be able to get the 70 back on the road in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I now have a "new" 1978 Mercedes 240 diesel for a daily driver. It might be slow, but it is not a ricer, gets 28 mpg and does not have to go through California smog certification.

I hope the adjustment tip helps someone out.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Nice to read of something good happening to you for a change!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think sometimes in life there is something you are supposed to do, some decision to make, and everything good taht is supposed to happen in your life just kind of backs up like a plugged toilet until you get a clue and make the right decision or do that one right thing. After that is done, all the good things that have been held in reserve start happening. It is like it is life's way of getting your attention to the right issue. For me, I think it was purchasing a car other than a classic mustang, getting remotely practical with a daily driver car. I dislike spending money on being practical when it can spend it on mustang parts or save it. It also helps for some reason when I am talking with my kids. Something about having that relationship activated and in the right direction, that kind of spills over into other areas of my life. I think this is just a principle of life, once understood, can be used to shorten the bad times.

Thanks for writing. (hey, 3 day weekend coming up, wonder if I can get the car painting done? hmmmm!)

G

·
0 Posts
I am in the middle of converting my 65 to efi and i am goung Ron's way, i have pourchased some other ittems from him, he will ALLWAYS anwer your questions with the patience of a monk. I have nothing but praise for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts