Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What material is used between the chrome molding and body on the roof rails? The actual weatherstrip attaches to the molding not the body. I have a leak on both sides coming from between the molding and the body on the trailing edge of the quarter window. I ordered the weatherstrip, but can't find anything for what goes between the molding and body. What it looks like to me is some sort of "foam" weatherstrip, but I can't see that being very good at sealing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would like to know the answer to that question too. I have not found anywhere to get that replacement strip. It's like a 1/4 inch thick strip of 'tacky' black window sealant that has a sort of threaded sticky backing.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I ended up using a piece of the "foam" that you refer to. I think someone sold a specific piece but I just got a piece from a hardware store that was probably 1" or 1 1/2" wide and maybe 1/8 thick for a few bucks. When you install the chrome it compresses and I highly doubt it will leak, I don't see how it would. Whatever you buy when you go looking for "foam" make sure that it isn't the type of foam that will absorb water. That will obviously defeat the purpose, cause a leak, and promote rust.

The stuff I found had a sticky side that I stuck to the chrome strip and then installed it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It should be a piece of vinyl foam tape, 1/8" thick and 7/8" wide, according the 1966 Body Assembly Manual. I have been looking for a similar tape for the last week. 3M makes one, but I've only found it sold in industrial quantities. I've found 1/2" and 3/16" thick closed cell foam tape at Lowes/Home Depot in the weatherstripping section. CJ's Pony Parts lists it on their website for $.95/foot (part # AA4853).

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Take a look at the foam tape with acrylic adhesive found here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPa...MMainWidth=1388

5 yards will do both sides with a little left over. You want the 3/4" wide tape in black. I don't remember which thickness is specified off the top of my head, though.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I bought a roll of 3M, #06383. It's 1/16" x 7/8" adhesive both sides and I found it at the local auto paint supply house.
I spent all day running around to diff places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts