Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i posted last night i found some rust at the front of my roof. Today, i got a small grinder wheel and took the paint & rust off of it....well, it goes straight through!

I have several holes, about 2 - 3 mm big, maybe 5 or 6 of them, all confined to about four square inches.

First, i cant fix this myself. Obviously the windshield has to come out, and have the peice cut out an a new bit welded in.

Questions: is there any pattern on the front of the roof, such as to hold the windshield in place? I mean, will i need an actual peice off of a coupe roof to weld in or can that metal be made?

Secondly, is there ANY way to take the headliner off without having to just cut it. (doesnt look promising)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a 'vert fan. Just something about being able to fold up half your car that doesnt appeal to me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Gary

·
Registered
460 Posts
You should ask the shop that will be welding if they can fabricate the piece. Once the windshield is out you should be able to peel the glued part of the headliner back. you will also have to remove the windlace. In the long run you might be better off to just replace the headliner.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A 3mm hole is just .120" if thats all it is fill in with a welder or solder( old school!)
Now if you mean 30mm... thats a completely story.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope just 3mm, max. Infact probably only about 3 of these holes actually. Some pitting aswell but thats it. The whole affected area is about 3 x 2 inches.

Do you really think its a good temporary idea to fill it? It would buy me some time!

Gary

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the whole affected area (before i took the paint off and scraped off the rust)
http://a9.cpimg.com/image/31/01/11229489-81c7-01FF0194-.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My '67 2+2 looked almost that bad in 1969 after two years of driving in Hawaii. I sold it in '69...its likely long gone to iron oxide heaven by now...

G

·
0 Posts
What you see may be least of your problems. These things are usually a just the tip of the iceberg. IMO pull the windshield take out the headliner so you can maybe see what the underside looks like, grind down to bare metal and make the necessary repairs. It may well require more surgery than you think to fix it properly so it will not return later to haunt you..

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It is a good Idea to pull the headliner to see how bad the underneath really is. They used a lot of lead on the body when they made them (rear quarters ) so I would think that a few 3mm holes would not be that bad to fill. Of course you must remove ALL the rust so those holes and pits might become larger, meaning you might have to replace anyway.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Judging by the side moldings on your car's B-pillars, yours had a vinyl top originally. If you have to do a lot of metal repair, you might consider putting the vinyl top back on rather than spending a lot of time and money blending the new metalwork into the existing metal and repainting.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My plan - fill them now. Properly of course. If anything else pops up in the same-ish area, ill get the whole roof stripped, sanded,rustproofed, primered & painted again.

Whatever happens, believe you me, i will not let the rust win /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Gary

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoa, slow down!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Judging by the side moldings on your car's B-pillars, yours had a vinyl top originally

<hr></blockquote>

What are the B pillars and what shows that it may have had a vinyl top?!?!

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I'm not the one who pointed it out to you but...
The B pillar is that section between the 1/4 and your roof. Looks from your photo's that you have a chrome trim strip which is used on vinyl tops to finish off their bottom portion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts