Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search but haven't been able to find anything on how to prepare the roof surface, only found info on the actual installation. More specificly, after I repair and remove any rust, do I want to primer and paint, or will corroless/POR 15 be better alone?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
After the surface is smoothed and preped DEFINATELY paint with either automotive epoxy primer or automotive paint. Vinyl tops are porus and will trap moisture between the vinal and the roof - perfect for rust to form. Standard primer or spray bombs will soak moisture through to the metal and rust will come right back under the new top.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So corroless or POR 15 would not be a good idea?

Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In 1990 I stripped the top off, sanded to bare metal. Used a rust/metal treatment on the bare metal. Then fully primered and painted as if it was a finish surface. My top finally failed last year and started getting pinholes in it and thus I got some surface rust under there. So that was 10 years, in the florida sun and rain without a day inside a garage!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brand name was osfo (or something like that) blue/greenish in color. Got it at the autobody/paint place that used to be here in town. I think Napa carries it, but am not positive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts