Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing one of Dynacorns full quarters on my 65 fastback. I'm struggling with aligning the character line which runs from the roof panel (just above the door window opening) and continues along the side of the back glass. The line was never quite right with the original factory quarter and it seems to be no better with this replacement quarter, but I'd like to at least attempt to make this line straight as possible. The body line on the quarter jogs outboard at the roof to quarter transition. I've removed all areas of panel interference I could see as well as some that were a little better hidden and I believe I've got this panel as far inboard as possible. Could someone please shoot a detail pic of this area so I may at least have an idea on how the transition from the roof to the quarter is suppose to look? What does it take to make this transition look right? Could this line be made to look proper with the use of filler? Add to that the fact that the line formation actually changes between the roof and the quarter and it really becomes difficult!
[/image]

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
If you would like to leave me a PT with your
E-mail I'll take a picture of mine. I had the
quarters replaced but down lower so the area
that you want to see is factory. The back glass
and the trim are installed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you want a good line then you will have to get cut off wheel out and trim away anything that holds panel back . I have drilled out the spot welds on a new panel to shift steel where needed. You can make a panel fit perfect just don't be afraid to make all neccessary cuts or spot drills.

Your right also in the panels from factory aren't much better fit then aftermarket . They just finished them in to look the best they could .

You may end up tacking it down in a few spot and tweaking it to fit better in some other spots. It's really just look at it well in the area's and trim to fit. A few pie cut's may help put in line also hard to say by not being right there to see .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looking at pic this tab may need trimmed just a bit . Or you can heat it and massage it out of way what ever looks easiest . you can allways cut window flange down to line up once exterior is fit . Also keep in mind of the widow opening size and not to get it to small .

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
My character lines are dead-nuts on, with maybe a slight imperfection or nib in the height direction, not the alignment.

My character, however, is very suspect...*G*

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my current personal debate is 1) should I continue trying to correct this body line mismatch with sheet metal changes or 2) should I "best-fit" the panels and straighten the line out with filler. I've removed every interference point that I could find and opened up all surrounding flanges and joints. The last bit of improvement I was able to achieve (about 1/16" panel movement) was when I took a BFH to the four quarter panel standoff pads located on the inner structure (just above qtr. vent opening & rear of drip rail). I knocked in the vent area pads about a 1/4" and the driprail pads about 1/8".

So, I'm at a crossroad. Do I continue to beat, cut, and twist this area into submission or do I surrender and let the filler finish the job? I must mention I'm very pleased with the fit of the panel everywhere else in terms of gaps and flushness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts