Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found some nifty plans to make a rotisseri, through the use of two engine stands.

The engine stand I have now tilts up a few degrees, without the engine attached; don't remember if it tilted up with the engine installed.

Now the Question: Do you think the basic unibody weight of a '66 coupe will, when installed in two engine stands, cause the engine stands to flatten out, so I can turn the car over??

·
Registered
804 Posts
I chose to build a rotisserie from plans that did not consist of engine stands. I like having them connected and the ability to raise and lower the car.

I felt that the slight degree would cause problems....

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the plans you are using are the ones that have a 65 convertible on, the dimensions for the height from the center pivot to the front bumper mounts are correct. Also mount to the rear bumper mounts as shown. However you must have the upright pieces exactly 90 degrees to the floor or the car will not turn. For mine, I widened the base to 5 feet using 2.5" x 2.5" tubing. I cut the upright of the engine stand off of its base and welded a new upright piece of 1.5" x 3" tubing to the base. The original upright piece now slides up and down inside the larger piece. I drilled adjustement holes in both pieces using 1/2" grade 8 bolts to maintain the height. You must also connect the two engine stands together if you wish to move it at all. Do not buy the 10" pneumatic swivel tires from Harbor Freight. They are rated for 300 lbs. but they want to fall over before they will swivel. I bought 7" hard nylon wheels, two swivel and two fixed from Grainger. They are expensive, but I can move my car easily with one hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts