Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a lot of people e-mail me about my rotisserie, so I got some pics posted on the web (I'm changing servers and I don't have permission yet).

Here are a couple of quick shots of my rotisserie:

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/images/rotis1.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/images/rotis2.jpg

Rotisseries are great for working on a car, but there are several things to consider before purcahsing/building one:

1. The Mustang wasn't nicknamed "The Hinge" for nothing! The Mustang unibody is very, very flexible, and if you intend to hold it by only the front and rear bumper mounts, it's going to bend in the middle. As I said in a previous post, I put a convertible on a two post lift - and you could literally watch the alignment on the doors go away as the car was lifted from the floor and off the weight on the wheels. There are reports of guys video taping what happens under their hoods under racing stress - and it ain't pretty.

Just think about that next time you see the TV show of the guys BEATING the TCP subframe connectors into place - STANDING in the MIDDLE of the car while it's being held at the front and rear bumper mounts! :no:

2. Because of this, you need to at the least tie the two ends together. I did with a central pole. If your is on wheels and you want it to move - you want the rear to move at the same time and not stress the whole system.

3. I ran two big, heavy 2x3 channels down the entire length of the rotisserie and attached to the front and rear mounts. This allows the whole car to swing as one - not twist like a candy cane when I go to rotate the car.

4. It also allows me to add additional mount points along the length of the body, which further reduces twist and stress on the car. Car in the picture is held at the upper control arm mount, the lower control arm mount and the rear spring front mount. For concours, I could actually mount to the factory mount points and paint the underside correctly.

For doing body repair, it allows me to grab the body in several places so when I finally cut a piece of the car off - it won't sag. How many times have we posted about panels not fitting? Sometimes things move when you cut away parts of a unibody.

5. Convertibles - if you hold the body with more than just the front and back - you don't need to stiffen up the middle with bracing. I built a set of braces for convertibles just in case - but no longer need them. Tie the two front door mounts together to the latch in the door jamb.

6. This one is big enough to swing a 71-3 full circle, but it won't fit in an 8 foot ceiling. It would fit without the wheels on it but you might hit your garage lights.

7. Decide if you really want one - because if you're only planning on building one car you have the joy of figuring out where to store it once you're done! I built mine slightly erector set style so it breaks down a little easier, but I still have the long pieces and end pieces to store if I had to. Since mine is in use continuosly it's not a problem though!

Dave :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All hail King Dave! Very nice work.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Dave What are your thoughts on the whirly jig?
Seems to be the best i have seen so far.
I like you idea of the inner tie end peices.
I am drawing up one for the upper control arm area and rear spring shackles.
Pete

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whirly jig looks O.K. - I'd make sure the rails were tied together.

All Hail King Dave
thanks for noticing. I'm working on my Meglomaniac Certification right now. I'd better start selling my name to hock products I have no connection with - ever..... :shocked2: :peeping:

Dave ::

·
Registered
580 Posts
With all due respect, when I had my coupe on the Rotisserie it did not bend. At least if it did I did not notice and there was no lasting damage. That is overkill if you have the shell completely stripped and the body is sound. Thousands of successful restorations prove that fact.

Lstar

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all due respect, when I had my coupe on the Rotisserie it did not bend. At least if it did I did not notice and there was no lasting damage. That is overkill if you have the shell completely stripped and the body is sound. Thousands of successful restorations prove that fact.
Guilty of being overly cautious and knowing something about physics and taking the extra step. That's why my customers hire me. :winkgrin:

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Just one question: how the hell do you mount the car on that rotisserie? It seems to me that you have to raise the car first, slide the rotisserie under it, and then lower the car onto the frame. Just curious....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just one question: how the hell do you mount the car on that rotisserie
If you have a 2 post lift it is easy. :winkgrin:

Since my setup doubles as a body dolly, I made a set of safety stands, and when I'm out at the media blast room (no lift), I alternate jacking the front and back of the dolly (no bending the frame mounts) and raise the dolly into position. Carefully jack up one end and the other - about 8 inches each time - careful not to get too much of an angle on each end. When the dolly is in place I simply slide the ends on. Easy and safe.

Because mine is neutral mounted it only requires about 33 inches to get into place.

I used to lift them with my 4 ton hoist too - but you need tall ceilings to do it and it isn't terribly safe.

Dave :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Planned on it Dave.
Once the stands are up on the wheels YES it will have the ties in place.
Dave all I have to say VERY NICE WORK.
My work had to be step up a few notches! :biggrin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought an Auto Twirler last October and love it. I got the better model with hydraulics. I put the car on the rotisserie by myself in about 30 minutes. The center of gravity and the amount of lift are adjusted seperately I can rotate my 70 Mach I inside the garage with an 8 foot ceiling. It comes apart and stores pretty easy, but it's still a pretty large piece. Don't know what I'll do with it when the car is done.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
This one by whirly jig will have the mounts for the hydraulics. I can pick up the hydraulic rams at harbour frieght p/N 36396 clevis bottom. Can't wait.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
WOW! SWMBO went and picked up the whirly for me. The guy even cut $100 off the price. Pretty good group of people running that outfit. They were very polite and loaded the jig for my wife.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts