Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Since I've run out of funds on my project I'm scheming of ways I can still be involved with it that won't cost much or anything, therefore, just looking into stuff.

How can I tell the torque boxes have had it? the seat platforms and most of the floors are still pretty good or good except for the toe boards (the body is a mess but that's another story). I'm pretty sure that if the boxes don't need replacement now, they will soon but how far can I let them go? Also what about the rockers?

Finally; any good books/websites about this? Thanks in advance

Greg

(BTW it's a '69 coupe, i that's stated below as well....It feels solid when I'm driving it but my "feel" for that might be wrong)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Look at the bottom of the torque boxes for signs of rot coming from the inside. If there are bubbles, poke with a screwdriver. If the drivers goes through - well you know the answer. If the bottoms are toast, open the box up and see just how bad the inside is. Perhaps only a portion will need replacing.

Outer rockers on Stangs were zinc plated as were several other key items and they hold up amazingly well but are not immune. Inspect as you would the torque boxes.

Don't know of specific books or web sites (other than the VMF).

·
7,051 Posts
I'd agree with everything above and add that you can use some liquid stipper and a lot of elbow grease to remove any undercoating. Undercoating must cause rust, because more often then not the thicker the undercoating, the more rust there is under it.

Or maybe that's just my PO's little method of "Rust Restoration" /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
You can do what I did. Put a floor jack under the torque box and put slight pressure. When it goes thru like mine did you know it needs replaced. It's now one of my winter projects. I sure love that undercoating they put on my Mach 18 years ago.
Ken

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Yep..poking with a screw driver will tell all..one suggestion..if the torque boxes are rusted out..you can be pretty certain the frame rails right above them are also gone

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,232 Posts
On my car the left box seemed in pretty good condition from underneath. My 67 never had a right box (until last month anyway). My pans and toeboards were in bad shape though. When I peeled up the left toeboard, a good chunk of the torque box came with it. When I got it all all apart, I found the bottom half of the box could have been sanded and reused, but the top half was crap. The new boxes come 1 piece. I only mention top+bottom halves because I had to split the damn things to install them. I wish you better luck with yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts