Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a paint color similar to that used on the Rotunda trunk / under hood light manufactured by John Hobbs Mfg? I think the power steering pump reservoir blue is too dark.

·
Registered
34,281 Posts
I always thought they were argent, but looking at some of the pictures on the internet I see a few different shades. You could use MS Paint to do some editing to get the shade you want and take it to your local auto paint store, have them scan it, and mix you up a pint or an aerosol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought of that as well, but hard to justify the expense for such a small amount of paint required.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I purchased an under hood light for my 65 fastback in 1965 from the local Ford dealer.
It was painted argent. I re-painted it Caspian blue to match the car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Trunk/ Hood Accessory Light is one of the few Accessories that was continued for quite a few years. Originally issued as a Ford Rotunda Accessory, it was later replaced as a Ford Accessory, all the while carrying the same Part Number (C2RZ-15A700-A). While the two were virtually identical there are subtle differences.

I have attached pictures showing both, the Rotunda part on the left in both pictures. Note that the Rotunda is a slightly darker Gray/Green.

I would say that the closest "spray can" match would be a light green hammertone, spryed to result in only a slight hammertone effect.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's a Silver Paint finish....almost "hammered"... Would experiment on scrap metal with Silver and "Hammered" Silver.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have one under my hood and in my trunk, they are the same color, and are actually very close to the Light Aqua of my interior and similar to my Tahoe Turquoise.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Never really noticed the Green to it....but I had noticed the "Hammered" Silver... I'll take your word on the Greenish tint... I have one in a box in my garage.. I'll look at it tomorrow...

Would suggest Krylon's Recent line of "Hammered or Hammertone" Spray Bombs at any Walmart or Ace Hardware. I'm sure that there is one that is close..

I have two also...and they are definitely different shades of the same color...a lighter and a darker as mentioned earlier above...so colors of them slightly varied... Especially since the thing was offered from 1962 to the Early 1990's at any Ford Dealer.. Earlier ones (Very Early '62-'67) were not "Stamped" in the middle...but the later 60's to 90's ones were as in Post#5 of this thread.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
34,281 Posts
Thought of that as well, but hard to justify the expense for such a small amount of paint required.
My local auto paint shop will mix me up a touch up bottle.. way more than enough for me to airbrush or PreVal spray a half-dozen of those for around $15 or an aerosol can of lacquer for around $20.

This, also, might be a choice... Rust-Oleum 7219830 Hammered Metal Finish Spray, Verde Green, 12-Ounce

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks for all the helpful suggestions. Also appreciate the photos provided showing the slight difference in hue of the Rotunda vs Ford lamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts