Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my car inspected yay!!! But it couldn't be just that easy picked it up from the shop only to find out another customer backed into it causing a decent dent in my drivers side fender and door....not finished, I started driving to school 2 hr trip (should have test drove around home more) and the lights started dimming and soon I realized my battery was draining so I pulled over and sure enough my car died....rrrrr. So from this I conclude that I have a charging problem (obvious) I really believe that it all stems from the regulator as the alternator was just replaced...so does any one have a clear pic where the wires connect on a VR in correlation to the I A S F. My puny mind can't comprehend the wiring diagrams because it looks like on a 67 nothing goes into the I terminal thingy.... Thanks for the Help Guys.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
...so does any one have a clear pic where the wires connect on a VR in correlation to the I A S F. My puny mind can't comprehend the wiring diagrams because it looks like on a 67 nothing goes into the I terminal thingy.... Thanks for the Help Guys.
Correct. That's for the "ALT" idiot light you don't have.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had the same issue on my '67 back in the day. Turned out that the VR was hooked up incorrectly. It's been so long ago though that I do not remember what we did to correct it. I'm sure someone on here will have the correct answer or a picture of what goes where to better explain it.

Good Luck...

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry about the dent in your fender and door.

Does your 67 still have the old tpe voltage regulater. Any local auto parts store should have a solid state (no old style mechanical relays). It'll be around $15 and is more reliable than the repro of the old type and far cheaper. Pretty much plug and play.

Slim

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have replaced the regulator with the one your talking about and got my car home last night as well (working along a busy highway isn't really fun) and I think I discovered the problem. Correct me if I am wrong but I had the yellow wires running into the I terminal, which wasn't allowing it to charge. So I put the yellow wires in the A terminal (which means alternator right?) this will then allow the battery to charge. Does this sound right to everybody?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Follow this wiring diagram and you'll be fine...

If you need a new regulator plug you can get one from the parts store. I got one from NAPA for a friend's classic Ford not too long ago...

As noted above, you do not have anything going to the I terminal...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts