Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing the complete front suspension and steering on my 65. Does anyone have some tips on how to get the alignment close so I can drive it safely to a shop to complete the alignment.

·
Registered
640 Posts
When I did mine I put the car on jack stands. Then placed a floor jack under a brake drum and jacked it up just until the frame starts to come off the jack stand. Then took a level and put it against the outside face of the drum and adjusted the lower control arm in or out until plum. I'm sure you could do the same with disc brakes just make sure the jack is padded so you don't mess up the rotor. Repeat for other side. As far as toe in or out, just eyeball the the wheel with the back one looking from the front of the car towards the rear. This actually got me close enough to confidently and safely drive to the alignment shop.

Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have drum brakes, so I may give that a try. I have a 1965. If I'm correct, the adjustment is with shims on the upper arm, right?
Would it work to have the wheel suspended? Right now I have the car on jack stands or should there be weight on the wheels? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You need weight on the wheels. I'd wager you know more about it than most alignment shops if you know it gets aligned by shims. :)
HTH
--Kyle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts