Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The exhaust manifold bolts have been getting hit with PB Blaster for 2 days now. I just sprayed them 5 mins. ago. I will be ready to go in a few minutes. If I snap a bolt I am screwed. I will have to remove the head and take it to a machine shop. Then I won't make it to Duryea Days in Boyertown. If I do it will be the first show I take the Mustang to. Last night I just bought a set of Craftman's Bolt-Out which I designed to remove rusted, stripped, and damaged bolts.

Ok, I am ready...

[Al Bundy]Let's Rock[/Al Bundy]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
heat the bolts with a torch before you try to take them out, they will change size and break some of the rustedness free inside the head. if you strip off the bolt, weld a nut ontop of the bolt head and take it off like that. I had to do that on my buddys honda.

good luck!

- Jason

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Dude it takes a wrench and some time, It's not brain surgry(someone is taking a big log) relax take them off slow and if gets stuck turn it back in about 1 turn and try to take it off again.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the new trunk lock installed. Will a propane torch get the bolts hot enough? My dad and I tried it but the bolts are still not loose and I am not going to force them out. I will just spray them with more PB Blaster.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
You want to heat the area around the bolt and not the bolt itself. Considering the manifold is in front of the threaded area it won't do much good. Remember things that are hot are larger than they were when they are cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts