Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Roush 427 in 65 fastback?

6K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  hsvtoolfool 
#1 ·
Hey all--

Have a '65 fastback with a c4 that has had some minor upgrades over the years-- newer 302 crate replacement, front discs, radiator, bilsteins...
A local garage had another old stang in for work and pulled a recently installed new 427 roush out of it. The owner (originally paid 17k or something for it) was putting in a smaller stroker since his wife was driving the car now.

Long story short, the engine is in almost new condition and they're trying to sell it for 5k negotiable. My questions are two-fold -- is this a screaming good deal for an engine like this? How silly would it be to put in my 65 if it's more a fun weekend cruiser?

Also, what else would I need to consider upgrading to support this beast? Rear? Transmission? Read discs? Frame stiffeners? Fuel Cell? Is this gonna make my car louder than some Scandinavian death metal band?

Not wildly mechanical but came across this opportunity and was hoping to ask for some guidance from those in the know.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.