Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket mechanical gauge, along with an oil pressure gauge, that I want to install in my vehicle to show actual pressures/temperatures. My main issue is the water temp gauge. Since I can't disconnect or cut the tubing from the sensor or the gauge, what is the best solution to get it into the driver compartment? The instructions say to drill a 3/4" hole in the firewall to pass the sensor through to the engine compartment, but I really don't want to drill that big of a hole. Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I have installed mechanical gauges many times. They are accurate and, when installed correctly, they last a very long time. However, installing mechanical gauges is a pain in the neck. When I was installing a mechanical temp gauge in my car last year, although I was trying to be careful, the copper line cracked and leaked which made it useless. I had to buy another gauge and start over.

If I had to do it again, I would buy high-quality electric gauges with a full sweep. Most electric gauges have a very narrow sweep and aren't very accurate. The higher end electric gauges have a full sweep, they are accurate and easy-peasy to install. They are somewhat expensive, but well worth it. No drilling huge holes. No delicate copper lines. No oil-filled tube. It's just very small wires you can route through any hole and route anywhere.

That's my take.

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
If the sensor is 3/4" in diameter, I don't think you have a choice...

Allen
Go ahead and drill the hole then pick up a rubber grommet to fit in the hole.
You have no other choice than drilling a hole that the nut on the capillary tube will fit through. You can buy a 3/4" grommet with a 1/8" or 1/4" hole. Maybe a 3/4" grommet with no hole and you can drill it yourself. Or a 3/4" hole plug and drill the center hole.

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
If you don't have factory a/c, drill the 3/4 inch hole through the "knock out" where the a/c hoses would go and use a grommet to seal. That'll put your thermocouple tube in just about the perfect location for a gauge mounting under the center of the dash.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found out I am unable to place the sensor somewhere it will fit. Currently, my temperature sensor is located right next to the distributor with absolutely no room to spare. This is a Blue Thunder dual quad manifold. The distributor actually overhangs the temp sensor just enough that I had to really work hard to get the wire to connect. Weird, crazy location. I tried to put this new sensor into the bung on the thermostat housing, but it's too long and hits against the thermostat. So that location is out. My only option is to see if I can get it to fit where the current one is after pulling the distributor, or drilling and tapping another hole in the water passage. Considering that this is a nearly $500 manifold now, I don't like that idea at all.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You have a 4speed right? If so can you route through the clutch linkage? This how I did it. No issue with my 65 or my 68. I was able it get a later style thermostat housing that allowed me to use the sensor. It had a screw in plug that I was able remove. It doesn't start until the thermostat is open. But it works.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
When I installed my EFI, I was forced to relocate my factory gauge sensor to the thermostat housing to free up the original location for the Sniper. It works well!

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
You can try just making a slot large enough for the line right next to an existing hole, slide the sensor thru the larger hole and the line over, then a small dab of silicone or a rubber grommet just around the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts