Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I tore my 65 apart, I think there was a cork strip between the front fenders and the inner fender aprons. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a strip of rubber (with adhesive on one side), say 1" wide and 1/16" thick down along the apron to 'insulate' the fender. This would keep it from vibrating, keep water from coming into the engine bay, and not scratch my nice paint on the aprons! I know there are small rubber pieces that go on at a couple of points. How about a strip the length of the apron? Anybody got any thoughts?

You can see my aprons here (in the next to last picture) in case you don't know what I'm talking about (and I'm not sure I do).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2971175/4

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I don't know about cork, but Ford did use seam sealer to fill in any large gaps... mostly towards the rear of the fender.

I don't see any reason why a strip of insulating material between the fender and aprons would cause a problem.

Dave

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I don't know about cork, but Ford did use seam sealer to fill in any large gaps... mostly towards the rear of the fender.

I don't see any reason why a strip of insulating material between the fender and aprons would cause a problem.

Dave

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've seen something similar to 3M strip caulk used on the '67-'68 fenders. Never anything on the '65-'66 (not that it wasn't there from new)...

you could do the same for your build...

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 3M strip caulk would work. My 66 had something similar there originally. Cork would probably hold moisture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts