Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in the new intermediate band strut today and buttoned everything up. I put in the ATF, and I notice a steady drip under the tranny in the center edge of the pan nearest the rear. I tightened the bolts some more and the dripping slowed, but I couldn't get it to completely stop. The new gasket is made of rubber, whereas the old one (from where I installed the shift kit) was made of cork. My question... I know rubber should work just fine, but if the pan is slightly bent (which mine may very well be), will a thicker cork gasket work better to prevent leaks since it can better mold itself to the pan/tranny? I didn't have a leak with my old cork gasket... too bad I ripped it to hell when I was removing the pan. I must not have gotten the shift mechanism where the valvebody interacts with the shift finger and kickdown hook set correctly, as the car is in "Park" regardless of where I move the shifter. No big deal, since I was gonna have to drop the pan again anyway. I just need to know if I need to go out and find a cork gasket, get a new rubber gasket, or try to re-use the brand new one that is on there leaking as we speak. Thanks for the help :)

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Pull your pan, get a ball peen hammer and straighten that pan out as much as possible. Over the years, the areas where the bolts go deform, which causes high spots beteen the bolts. Also, you may want to use a little hi-tack (gasga-cinch brand, I think) to secure the gasket to the pan prior to installation. Back in the olden days, when I had a C-4, I ended up buying an Art Carr aluminum trans pan. RTV'ed the gasket to the pan and 'bingo' no more leaks. The trans and pan are sitting under the tablesaw in my garage. One of these days, when I have nothing to do, I am going to learn how to rebuild it (CAMachinist will definitely be involved, but don't tell him - *G*).

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, was that the problem....band strut get loose? I remember you had trouble adjusting the band, yes?

Gasket...concur with Steve....I just make sure the pan is flat and the bolt holes aren't dimpled and glue a cork gasket to it, then stick it into place...no biggie...

I haven't tried the rubber gaskets so I can't comment there...

Let us know how it goes...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
My persnal choice cork. I can't remember how many times I replaced my valve cover gaskets and one time Autozone didn't have the cork gaskets, so I tried the rubber. They lasted about a week and started to leak. tightened them up etc...Eventually putting cork back on. Same with oil pan gaskets. I think cork has more elasticity which gives it the ability to seal better. I'd pick cork...

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey :) I posted yesterday (Wednesday) that I found a broken strut (yes, broken into three pieces!). I bought a new one today and thought I'd be back on the road tonight but I got in a hurry and didn't get things lined up properly (DOH!). Hopefully I'll get her going this weekend, assuming I'm not in Atlanta at the Fun Ford event the whole time. What type of glue would you recommend? The rubber gasket specifically said not to use glue, just an "oil-soluble grease". Thanks for your help, your input is always greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For rubber, I'd use some blue RTV; For cork, I'd use some Permatex #2....

What are they trying to do, torture you by telling you to put grease on a gasket? Maybe through a goose, but that's a new one on me...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe, yeah, as if I don't have enough problems already... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts