Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Definitely front bumper brackets, maybe for a tow bar, bumper guards? I vote tow bar.

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Gas

Registered
1965? Inner Bumper brackets With an extra tab welded on for ?

I vote fog lights, or dual 鈥渨hinny鈥 mustang horns鈥.
Tool Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper

Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
They look very much like tabs for attaching an old school tow bar to. Like this one.

Reactions: kechke

Registered
They look very much like tabs for attaching an old school tow bar to. Like this one.
Today we would never think about towing something from a bit of metal tacked on a bumper bracket that would be mangled in a 2 mph incident. I miss the good old days!;)

Reactions: Maxum96

I won a special award
Today we would never think about towing something from a bit of metal tacked on a bumper bracket that would be mangled in a 2 mph incident. I miss the good old days!;)
In the 1960's, my dad did some side work shuttling cars between car dealers doing trades. He used his personal 1966 Chevelle 2 door 327 four speed (he bought it new) to flat tow the cars around. He'd just clamp the tow bar on to the towed car's front bumper. I couldn't imagine that being done today.

Premium Member
Cars don't have bumpers anymore. They have urethane covers over 5 mph crash rated BS like styrofoam. Hell, pickup trucks don't have real bumpers anymore. They fold up like aluminum foil. I understand protecting the driver with a body and chassis that absorbs the crash before the passenger compartment but nowadays if you hit a big enough bug it may total the car. My son accidentally let his 66 roll forward at the end of a parking spot the other day in Decatur Georgia and bumped a brick wall. Not a mark on the bumper, but a piece of the brick chipped off and hit the ground. I accidentally tapped someone at a stoplight with mine once, and the person thought I was just nudging them to go on so they waved and drove away. Modern vehicles are crap. I'm driving old stuff.

Registered
Removed from an old race car? I think it was fairly common back the day for drag racers to flat tow their race car to the track. The old speed part catalogs had bolt on tow tabs from companies like Lakewood. It you see an oldschool 70s style built street racer to day, they often have big red or yellow tow tabs mounted under the front bumper.

Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
As crazy as it may seem by today's standards, they look like someone used them to connect a tow bar. The reason I think so is that those tabs look very thick (maybe 1/4 or 3/8) which would not be needed to mount a horn or fog lights. From there location it seems the bumper would have to have been notched, since those tabs look like there are where the bottom of the bumper would curve inward.

Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
I have seen a few mustangs that have trailer hitches on them. Could those be frame brackets for a trailer hitch?
Need to practice your Mustang parts recognition. Those are FRONT bumper brackets. :)

At this point their purpose has long been identified and beat half to death too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts