Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!
I’ve been wanting to change the color of my 1965 Mustang Coupe to either Ruby Red or Candy Apple Red. I’m having a hard time deciding which one is better. If you have some pros and cons of each color (even if it’s personal preference) I want to know what everyone thinks :)

let me know by explaining why!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I’ve got a ruby red on my 2011 F150. I’ve wondered how it would look on a mustang. Im thinking it would be fantastic. Candy apple is a stock color, so more cars like yours will be at the car show...

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Do you really mean candy apple red? Or just apple red? I haven’t seen a candy paint job it a while, mostly either solid colors or metallics. Candys are a little out of favor these days.
Candyapple Red is a Ford factory color for 66-70. Probably the best non-metallic red of all time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im one for brighter reds, my car right now is really close as it is to rosso corsa red, but when I repaint it Ill be going with actual rosso corsa. With that said if I was going darker Id go with candy apple.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Someone had a recent post with a mustang they had purchased after the po had give up on it and it was not assembled but had been painted Ruby Red ,it looked great even in pieces

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
209 Posts
Candy Apple Red is a beautiful color but I had a 2015 F250 in Ruby Red and I believe it would wrap the lines ofor a classic Mustang beautifully. Post pics when finished.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
3H4 Toyota Medium Red Pearl for me.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Whats the original color.
Red is a dime a dozen
You may have a super cool original color

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I have 2 candy apple red cars and they both look slightly different. Both old school single stage paint jobs, that don't really look all that great up close. They both need repainted.
I want to repaint my mustang someday. It will be painted a metallic red. After years of looking at auto shows, Autorama, and Cruises. I started noticing some metallic red colors were brighter than other metallic reds. I didn't know why. I wanted a deep red that was still bright. Some just looked dull and dark to me.
One day I was refinishing a vintage guitar that was metallic red and noticed the layers of paint.
I always liked this brighter metallic red guitar and knew that was the kind of red I was looking for, for my car. It seemed to really pop. Well I found out that this guitar was painted with grey primer, then black, then Gold, then Red.
After asking many owners of many cars what color they use under the red. I found the darker looking metallic red cars had a silver base, and the brighter metallic cars had a gold base.
A few years ago I was at the Detroit Autorama as usual. I saw a 69 Mustang there that had that perfect deep/bright/metallic red I was also considering. The owner confirmed that he used a gold base.
So now I know what color my car will be.
I think this is the car?

These are my cars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My daughters 65 will be Ruby Red. I have the base sitting here right next to me and hope to be able to shoot the jams this week. :)

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
That's the trouble with the internet, looks like Royal Maroon.
Yes, colors can be deceiving. I liked the pearl element of the Toyota paint when I selected it 25 years ago.

·
Dimples
5,564 Posts
If I were looking at that sort of color now, I’d do the Soul Red Crystal from Mazda. That color is just eye popping in person. It’s supposedly a bit of a challenge to spray, but I figure if there are tens of thousands of +/- $30k dollar cars in that color on the road, some are getting fender benders fixed, so it can’t be that bad.

The recent Ford Ruby red is my runner up.

It’s on a screen, so you can’t get the full effect, but here’s the Soul red.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
According to my Marti report, Candyapple is one word. Don't know what Ford's official name was for Paint Code T. I have seen it both ways.
And yes, I'm biased. I also agree with some others to consider the original color.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts