Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I was to change mine to a red, I would absolutely go with my wife‘s cars color...Carmine Red. So sexy.
Troy

·
Registered
530 Posts
The car that 1969sag was showing from the Detroit Autorama is a true translucent Candy Apple Red. The candy is painted over a gold, silver of white base color. By changing the base you change the final color of red and they really look spectacular. But they are very expensive and if they get scratched you can't repair the area because the paint is see through and the more layers will change the color so you can't fade it into the original color. There was a guy that use to post on here that had a sig pic of a red 69 hood and fender. But instead of the flat black hood it was a fine silver metal flake center with the red edge. I did something like that but with a Deep Impact Blue, see my build thread. I don't know what color it's called, but I saw a ford pickup last summer that looked black in the shade but was a dark red in direct sunlight. The candy apple red mustangs are a dine a dozen. If you're going to the trouble of painting your car don't just do an ordinary color. Do something that makes it stand out. In my opinion the Ruby Red would make it stand out. It's a very vibrant color.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are painting a 65 coupe and want it red, and look correct, then I would stick with 1965 ford (and shelby) color code T -- Do an image search and you will see what you are getting.
Color code T is called Candyapple Red, but IMO it is not Candyapple at all. It is a Medium Red (like a fire engine) with no candy, metallic or pearl.
Hard to go wrong with this color (but I may be biased)

If you want a true Ruby or Candy apple, then you are going outside what was offered on a classic mustang (not that it too won't look great)

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
I like 66 ford candy apple red best. I'm gonna paint some of my drums that do not hold oil ford candy apple red. I like the red on my 01 and 02 ford trucks 2nd best. Choose the color your EYES like the most. If you cant then flip a coin or flip out but dont flip off or do a Flip Wilson. I could be freekin out right now man.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Candyapple Red is a Ford factory color for 66-70. Probably the best non-metallic red of all time.
Gottcha. I do a lot of hot rod work and it is surprising to me how many people say they want candy apple red, but they really don’t know what it is, and in the end they want a red that I call resale red, or ‘shut up and give me a ticket’ red. Both are very nice reds, but no candy in them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I were looking at that sort of color now, I’d do the Soul Red Crystal from Mazda. That color is just eye popping in person. It’s supposedly a bit of a challenge to spray, but I figure if there are tens of thousands of +/- $30k dollar cars in that color on the road, some are getting fender benders fixed, so it can’t be that bad.

The recent Ford Ruby red is my runner up.

It’s on a screen, so you can’t get the full effect, but here’s the Soul red.
View attachment 784089
What they are doing with some of the colors now is incredible. Unfortunately, a lot of them are not DIY friendly. I do a fair amount of paint work and between the special equipment, special environment, special techniques, it is just too expensive to try to reproduce them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That's the trouble with the internet, looks like Royal Maroon.
From here, she looks more like Vintage Burgundy code X.!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I went with Candy Apple red on my '66, because that's what it came with from the factory.
It does look good in that color.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just FYI since no one has mentioned it; the factory red for a 1965 'stang is Code J, and it's called Rangoon Red. It's a little "brighter" than the 66-70 Candyapple Red, or "warmer". Ford Candyapple red is "cooler", with a bit more blue(?) in it, but as been said above, like fire engine color.

Do what strikes you as the color you want. You have to look at it all the time.

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mine was Vintage Burgundy from the factory, but I opted for a modern (less purple) color for the repaint. Ruby Red was an easy choice. I believe the base coat was black, so it may not exactly show like a factory color coat. It's amazing in the sunlight, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I bought my car, I LOVED the color. The previous owner told me it was “Chrysler Red”. I shrugged, bought it, and was on my. Yeah, try finding a match for that now

And in case anyone is wondering, the Ram is 2003 Patriot Blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
177 Posts
I went with MarkIV red. It's the color of the GT40 Mark IV that beat Ferrari at Lemans in 1967. After many hours of searching online I found a thread that the color had been resurrected in the 90's as something (forgot what name) and then in the lat 2000's as colorado red. So I got my 67 painted Mark IV red, aka colorado red, and tell that story to everyone =)
YMMV

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I were looking at that sort of color now, I’d do the Soul Red Crystal from Mazda.
You beat me. This color is fantastic! If my car hadn't spent ~30 years being red I would have chosen this.

I respect using original color, if the car is original, or if you just love it. If you are modifying it, paint becomes just another mod.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Candyapple Red is a Ford factory color for 66-70. Probably the best non-metallic red of all time.
But not the same every year. 69 differs from 68. Called the same but different formulas. And a real candy apple color is way different from a factory candy apple color

·
Registered
145 Posts
I tend to go the other way and make an original a NON-Original paint color, but still a ford color in another year. As someone already mentioned, this way at car shows yours will be unique.

I went with Bright Atlantic Blue which I think was first in 1998 on the Mustang GT.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts