Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these marks while stripping black paint and red oxide primer off an RUG AG toploader (69 Mustang small block close ratio). The other side has a large "K-1" and "6", maybe in pale green???

I need help with these yellow marks.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/rockhouse66/transmarksyellow.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/rockhouse66/transmarksclose.jpg

Above the shifter studs looks clearly like a "5" in this picture, but in person could also be part of "OK" or even an "S" on its side?

The other marks seems to end in a block letter "G" or "6", and previous posts suggests maybe it should be RUG (for RUG-AG) but there doesn't appear to be room for a "U" in the middle - looks more like an "I"?

This trans also has the numbers 36 45 stamped on the top edge of the passenger side near the bellhousing - partial VIN?

Hope you guys have some magic!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Transmission markign have to be one of the most difficult subassembles to research since - like engines- most have been removed and rebuilt over the years. Add to this the layers of marks placed on them by assembliers, inspectors and subassembly workers. In general I can offer the following

1. Shifter area - Normally a number - in a stencil style font
Often a “1”-“9” On earlier trans you may find another higher stenciled number forward of this location

2. Case bottom /lower drivers side - Stencil style again but slightly different and larger in yellow found in the past on your year trans ( should be the identifying code for the completed trans) Example "GAW" or "6AE"

Yours (from what you provided" looks like first digit "S" or "6" second an "A" and third a "G" or "6"

"and previous posts suggests maybe it should be RUG (for RUG-AG)" No it should not be - these codes are not the same as stamped on the trans on any trans I've seen

3. Passenger side of the case - hand written in yellow or green One or two different numbers

4. and yes (as of 68 on regular production cars) you should have a partical VIN as per federal auto thief requirements

in 69-70+ you should find another small stencil stamp drivers side of the forward trans mounting flange and or another paint mark.

5. While your checking for marks check the top of the bellhousing for a possible mark

Sorry I was a bit wordy... but I've spent a fair amount of time on this subject during the last 20 yrs

Hope this helps - next time think of posting this in the concourse/restoration section of the web site..... they can get lost over here in the general area

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Hey Jeff, good to see you online. You helped me out a lot on my 70 restorage a number of years ago. Hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Everything is great ... and thanks for the kind comments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts