Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a difference a 4 row with a shroud makes! Let the FB run for 20-30 minutes and the guage barely moved. The fan is sucking cool air in like it should. You put a piece of paper in front of the radiator and swooop right against the fins! While I was at it, I installed a new trans cooler. That cleaned everything up and got rid of the bloated rubber hoses that were dripping tranny fluid. The biggest problem I had was convincing the flex fan to work with the aftermarket repro shroud. Wasn't a problem after I took the dremal tool to the shroud and trimmed it a bit. It was only hitting slightly on the bottom of the shroud. A sanding disc made quick work of it and it sounds factory now.

I have been fighting this cooling problem for 25 years! New radiators, water pumps, shrouds fans etc etc. This is by far the best it has ever cooled. To top the day off I got a nice used heater box from E H A Y for less than $20. A new one was going to cost me $200 and that did not include the core, fan or squirrel cage.

All in all its been a good weekend. Even scored a 94 piece craftsman tool set with deep sockets, nut drivers, screwdrivers etc for $68 while at the AFB in Sac. Priced it at Sears and it was selling for $129! I know it was impulse buying but according to MIDLIFE I have to have a good set of deep sockets!

Well I am off to spend a week in the wilderness with my Son at Boy Scout Camp. Cross my fingers and hope I hang my bear bag high!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I was changing my radiator and adding a fan yesterday, what a PITA trying to tighten the fan with the shroud on. Today i need to get 4 bolts to tighten the shroud on, the ones i bought were too big.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Where did you purchase your radiator from?

If I end up keeping the D-coder, I was thinking of adding AC (for the wife *G*) and would need a better radiator than the stock 2 row which does a passable job right now...

I was also thinking of upgrading to a clutch fan....what prompted your choice of flex fan over clutch fan (or stock fan)?

Glad everything worked out...nothing like a "cool" Pony...*G*

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it took soo long to answer I was at Camp!! I got it from Sacramento Mustang over on Auburn Road. The cost was $199. I picked the flex fan because I believed the clutch fan to be for a car with A/C. I don't have A/C so a flex fan was in order.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Thanks for the update....Sac Mustang was where I got the JBA's for the D-coder many years ago...expensive but worth it..*G*

200.00 isn't too bad for a good radiator....thanks for the tip!

Hope you had a great time at camp!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts