Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to have the exhaust system on my 69 Boss 302 replaced using original manifolds (which I found in the Classified section a while back). The exhaust shop prefers not to have to deal with removing the old headers and installing the manifolds. He has offered to supply a couple of down pipe extensions for the manifolds so I can drive the car the 10 miles to the shop. My question is, assuming the exhaust is deflected away from all of the parts underneath, is driving that distance with open manifolds bad for the motor? It might be fun driving it that way a little, but I have a feeling I'd be better off biting the bullet and renting a trailor instead.

Thanks for any advice...

G

·
0 Posts
Shouldn't hurt the car at all. Just make sure you keep that hot exhaust away from any crucial parts. Oh, don't go passing any cops while your "open collector" *G*

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You should hurt anything on the car running open exhaust. But I would take along a set of ear plugs for you. *G* Going 10 miles with open exhaust and you won't be able to hear anything when you get to the muffler shop.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
664 Posts
10 miles shouldn't hurt anything. The only thing I would worry about is the local law enforcement officers. Open headers tend to attract every cop within a 50 mile radius. LOL

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts