Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine was rebuilt this spring. New valves, springs, pistons cam. The whole deal. I have been fighting a rich mixture problem since then. Cylinders 1,2,6 &7 are rich and foul the plugs instantly causing a real rough running engine that sputters and pops. Cylinder 3,4,5 and 8 all look nice. The plugs look great. New plugs will get it to run great for a short time until the plug foul.
It's a 351C with a dual plane Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley 600 carb.
I thought in might be bad wires so I swiched them around, still bad on the same cyl. Installed new cap and rotor, no help. It has a stock distributor and coil with a pertonix.

Idle mixture screws on the carb are turned in quite a bit. maybe 3/4 tun off of the seat. Idle picks up if I unscrew them more but I didn't want more fuel in the mix.

Help...I want to enjoy driving this thing not swear at it every time I get in it.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Are you sure you dont mean cylinders one, FOUR, six and seven? Theyre all connected in the intake.

Fords are labeled 1-4 on one side and 5-8 on the other.

Either way, I'd suspect the carb.....

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Another vote for your carb. I had a similar problem with mine...Holley 600 and an Offy dual plane 360 deegree intake. I rebuilt the carb, and it solved the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts