Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan shroud on my 65 coupe 289 engine is pretty beatup. Would there be any problem running without it?
Car is running on the cool side at least according to the gauge.

Hopefully the gauge is working correctly.

Speaking of the gauge. How can you tell if its working the way it should?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi,

I drove my 65 with a 289 from Oklahoma City to Nashville and back with no shroud in April. I had no trouble. I think if your radiator and cooling system are up to speed, you will be okay. A lot of people have trouble, too. So, it depends on what kind of shape your cooling system is in.

Good luck,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
might have a little trouble keeping it cool at idle on a hot day. for example if you let it idle in the driveway, or stuck in traffic but normal stop and go should be ok

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sounds like a kinda backwards way of approaching a "too cool" engine. :: Half the people on the forum wish they had your problem.....

Put the right thermostat in it, and the problem will be solved without making an ill advised modification. If you don't see a difference in how the gauge reacts to the thermostat, you'll know it is very inaccurate.

If the old shroud is "beat up", why don't you take it off, clean it up, hammer it out (or whatever it requires), put on a fresh coat of paint and reinstall? You could do this at the same time you install a thermostat! ::

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you have A/C you should have a shroud. Need to pull more air through A/C condensor. 1st thing A/C shops look at if you are having problems. Gary

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Mine was missing when I got the car, and I've never replaced it because I've never had any problems. As everyone else has suggested, if your cooling system's in good shape, I'd say you'll be OK, just keep an eye on the gauges if you're sitting still for an extended period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shroud was not repairable so for now, instead of removing it completely, I cut the lower portion off so there is more clearance for the fan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts