Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of these to install on my 66. I opened the package this afternoon and compared these to my original hoses. Small problem, the end of these new hoses will not fit the original brackets. The original hoses had a hex that engage in a matching opening on the bracket. The new hoses are round with one flat side and when slid thru the opening of the bracket does not engage the hole. The slot for the hose retainer clip is to high, a spacer would be needed to attach the clip.

Anybody use these before and what did you do to get them to work? TIA, Jeff

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Jeff, IIRC, 67 and up had a 'D' shaped hole in the brackets-- you could swap out the brackets.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
The Russell lines for my 71 came with new brackets. I'd call them to see if they are supposed to be included in the 65-6 set.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Jeff, I just finished installing a set in my 66. They are exactly like you described except that my brackets are also the same way, in a 'D' shape configuration. On my old lines I had two clips that held the line through the bracket: a large L-shaped one and then some sort of C-clip. When I went to put the new lines on, I had forgotten how the original set-up was but the L-shaped clip, larger of the two, worked just fine in holding the line through the bracket. Do not know if it makes a difference but my car has factory discs up front and the dual exhaust set-up out the back which causes the bracket to be attached to the differential. You have to buy a seperate bracket for the back since the old one is one-piece with the distribution block attached. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same brake setup as you, front disc and dual exhaust. I don't have the old rear brake hose to look at, but I think I remember how it worked. There is a bracket welded to the floor for the steel line to hose connection. On the axle end of the hose there was a hole for the diff vent to connect to. The new hose has this hole, although the arrangement of the line connections are different it looks like it will work. But I still may have the D shaped problem at the floor end. Oh well, I will figure something out. Thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
Correct, the bracket will attach into the hole in the new distribution block and then the bracket will attach to the differential via the vent tube. As far as the other brackets, the only thing I can think of is that they might be from a Falcon, as many of these parts were used back and forth as they ran out of one and used the other. Hope that helps.

RJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts