Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car blasted on Saturday and looks good but I put in garage and covered up and was planning on hitting with epoxy in a couple weeks after I hit it with a sander knock off the rough spots and clean the metal. I looked at today and started seeing what looks like rust coming back (darks spots) in some of the pits in the floor and other areas where heavily pitted (no holes). Bummer

Just a little bummed to see rust in pits coming back so fast. Just curious if other have experience with epoxy and if it will seals pits forms rusting anymore? Or if will need to reblast the spots.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
depending on the enviroment its in, bare metal will start rusting immediately...it can be back within an hour....its very important that after stripping the paint that it be stored in a dry enviroment(use a dehumidifier in any garage...my garage gets VERY humid sometimes). But to answer your question...strip those areas again the day of the planned priming. Also...oddly enough I have noticed that bare spots I have been working with will rust MUCH slower if I make sure to put a car cover over the car as soon as I finish working(whether the car is inside or outside at the time)...not sure why that would be...but I dont argue with my eyes

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"and was planning on hitting with epoxy in a couple weeks"

Mistake#1.

When you have bare metal, You have literally a "A few hours" to prime it before rust and oxidation start to do their work...

Mistake#2.

Noone today should have their Body Panels "Sand Blasted" Using actual "Sand" actually creates "pits" in the metal on its own. The only media that should be used to strip a body panel(s) today is Plastic Media or at worst Walnut Shells. That's all.

So endeth the lesson.

There is absolutely "No Surprise" as to why what happened with your car. What you did provided that EXACT Expected results.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
High humidity like here in Louisiana and it’ll flash over almost immediately.

Ospho, or another PA product, followed by Master Series will take care of it.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Sand blasting creates heat that distorts metal. Chances are you now have warped body panels.

By not getting a protective coat on it immediately, you have created a hornets nest of additional work for yourself.

Study up on relative humidity and dew point. If you are involved in painting, it is must know knowledge.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Another possibility, you didn't actually get all the rust removed from the pits. I've noticed many times, the part looks nice and clean, but there will often be rust left in the bottom of the pits that is very hard to see. You have to "dwell" over these spots with the blaster to get them fully clean to the bottom.

·
Registered
34,299 Posts
I'll swear by it (again). Picklex20. I've had treated bare metal go through the change of seasons from Fall to Winter to Spring with temps going above/below freezing and resulting condensation/humidity with nary a spec of flash rust. I always have a gallon stashed in my cabinet... don't care if it's lawn furniture, black iron gas line, etc., it gets Picklexed.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'll swear by it (again). Picklex20. I've had treated bare metal go through the change of seasons from Fall to Winter to Spring with temps going above/below freezing and resulting condensation/humidity with nary a spec of flash rust. I always have a gallon stashed in my cabinet... don't care if it's lawn furniture, black iron gas line, etc., it gets Picklexed.
I will STRONGLY second the suggestion of Picklex20. Like Woodchuck described, due to my varying schedule and life in general, I sometimes only had a few hours here and there to work on mine and seasons changed while working on one section (in Kentucky, that can be morning to night!) and I kept the metal treated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts