Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my clutch pedal this past weekend I discovered a very bad rust spot on the drivers side door pillar just below the door hinge. I almost cried. I picked at the rust with my finger and punched a hole right through to the inside. Yikes! How do I fix that?? The answer is I don't since I don't have a welder or the know how to use one. Just one more thing I will have to put on the list for the body shop once I get out of school and get a real job.

But that is probable at least two years away. How do I stop the rust? This really has me shaking in my boots. I don't want to have to find another 73 convertible and start all over.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
As long as the rust is not part of the hinge support, you've got a couple choices as a stop gap while waiting to do the repair correctly.

1). Cut/grind out all the rusted metal and put a sheet metal patch over the resulting hole and seal/secure it using Seam sealer or Silicone (You coul even pop-rivet the patch in place, then seal ti up).

2). Paint the rusted area with POR15, then cover/fill any small holes with seam sealer or silicone, or if the holes are bigger, cover with a patch as mentioned above.

If the rust has migrated to the hinge support areas, the door falling off the car might dictate the needed course of action for you ::

Good Luck!

·
Registered
913 Posts
YOu need to at least por-15 it, also POR-15 has a product such as this :
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=8

to fillin holes. i've also heard people using fiberglass matting along with regular por-15 to suppliment floor pan 'patches' over small rusted through areas. i'll try to find the link to the thread/right up when i get home.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That may have been me, Brian. I said I was going to do a write up on it, but I never got around to it.

I used fiberglass cloth to fill in some holes on my floorpans. POR-15 also makes a fiberglass mesh for this purpose.

On the floorpans, I just used a knotted wire cup brush to grind down the pans to bare metal. Then I put 3 or so layers of fiberglass cloth on the top and bottom of the floorpan to completely seal the holes. I then sanded the fiberglass smooth and top coated with POR-15.

You can't see the repair. It turned out pretty nice. They were small enough holes that I didn't fill I had to worry about the fiberglass cracking.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I went to the por15 website and ordered the trunk repair kit and some of their body filler. I was planing to do my trunk next weekend anyway and the kit includes a fiberglass mesh hole patch. Dang rust!

I think water has been getting into the door pillar through the windshield weather striping. I am planning on getting that changed next month as well.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have also used fiberglass and POR 15 for rust repair in my floorpans and trunk. It worked so well, and my 73 convertible is only outdoors in good weather, I will probably never fix it "right".

By the way, I can't remember where I read about it, but someone makes a kit for fastening metal repair panels with epoxy instead of welding. It is supposed to be as good as a weld.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Lord Industries makes Fusor: a two-part epoxy for "fusing" metal panels together. It works great for non-structural sections, but it does require overlapping the pieces. It is not a replacement for butt-welding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts