Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a pic of the inside of the outer rocker. Looks like mild surface rust to me, but I'm looking for other opinions. I was thinking of wire wheeling it and then coating with Master Series Silver or epoxy. Good idea? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
The side doesn’t look too bad. The bottom looks like it may have some damage. I agree with Caper, if you can blast it, that would be best. If not, wire wheel, or whatever you can to get it clean. Treat it with Ospho, then epoxy prime, or use Master Series Silver.

Be careful when welding etc. The rockers were galvanized and can give off toxic fumes.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Look it’s lasted for 50 years unprotected. Wire brushing and coating has to be better than nothing. You can blast and epoxy, sure. But, unprotected, paint on or sprayed, all will probably outlast you. If your prepping for your grandkids, you better epoxy. 😉

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Looks like just minor rust staining... I see no heavy rust damage... Just sand, seal and prime it..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bottom is actually pretty clean. No rust at all. The orange you see is from the reinforcement pans for the Convertible. They had some pretty serious rust almost welded to them from the floor pan where it’s sandwiched between it and the inner rocker. Rust dust. I’ll post a few more pics.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn’t find any local. Ended up using Permatex rust treatment in a spray form that I had in the garage. Hope I didn’t screw up. If I did I can always take it off I guess and use something else. Got 99% of the rust off then sprayed the Permatex on it. Turned the whole thing black. Figured I’d top coat it with the Master Series silver.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
It likely got it. Phosphoric acid is what you look for, same as in CocaCola and most every Rustoleum product.
I think Naval Jelly is the best form of it. I get from Atozon rather cheaply.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn’t say it has phosphoric acid in it. Just says acetone, butane and some other flammable thing. Looked online for what’s in it but it seems to be a secret.

·
Registered
34,194 Posts
Ospho/Phosphoric Acid or, if you can't find it, Naval Jelly. Wipe excess let dry, weld it back up then epoxy prime or Master Series Silver using a 360* spray wand through the drain holes. While still "semi-wet", open up the drain holes with a Q-Tip so they don't get painted over.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Evaporust is another product that can help.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I’ll take the Permatex stuff off and start over. Feels almost like a paint coating. Found out it’s something called tannic acid which is a rust converter. Says do not use for exterior body work. It can be top coated. Even though it’s not exterior body piece I probably ought to take it if off and start over.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have a link or suggestion on where to get one of these 360 spray wand things? And I bought this green stuff called Klean Strip Concrete and Metal Prep yesterday. Says its phosphoric acid. This should work right? Pretty cheap at Home Depot

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts