Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 1966 coupe that has some rust issues on the bottom corners of the rear glass. This is most likely due to not having the best paint/paint-prep work done before it was in my ownership. The paint is in "decent" condition elsewhere but has flaked off due to rust in these areas. The under body appears to be rust free and I haven't found any rust elsewhere. The car is always kept in the garage and isn't driven in the rain. I am in no financial position to be getting a full paint job and/or rust repair done within the next 5+ years (I'm in college). However, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop or slow down the rust so that it doesn't create more problems later.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

just a bit of orange peel lol ^

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
I would remove the paint until I found clean steel, remove the loose rust and treat with phosphoric acid (milkstone remover is cheap and can be found at farm stores) i would then mask off the area and prime with master series then top coat with a color of your choice.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I would do as Scott suggests.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've got a feeling that paint job is hiding a lot.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would remove the paint until I found clean steel, remove the loose rust and treat with phosphoric acid (milkstone remover is cheap and can be found at farm stores) i would then mask off the area and prime with master series then top coat with a color of your choice.
sounds good. I really just don't want to make more rust repair for myself later :)

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
The rust probably extends up underneath the gasket. Treating the rust you can see is not going to stop it from spreading and eating the metal under the gasket. You will probably have to remove the rear window to treat and stop the rust from spreading.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

Goop it on and let it run into holes and crevices. Wipe it off the paint.
After a time or two it will turn mostly black. I would also get a liquid and let it run down the glass and wherever it wants to go until you can get to it properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts