Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have some nuts and bolts that are rusted dose anyone know some good things to use on them i also have some that arent rusted but they are just really tighht

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like a real personal problem. Are you sure you're in the right forum?

Okay try the good ol' Liquid Wrench. Let it penetrate a while then tap it a few times to lossen things (hopefully). A little heat could help too but not right after the LW a fire would be much worse than any frozen bolts.

Michael G.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I always found that giving them a liberal spray of penetrating oil and, if that hasn't loosened them up, use a breaker bar and a 6 pt. socket and give it a couple of shots w/ a hammer... If by then a bolt hasn't come off for me I get mad and break out the Dremel tool or the nut cracker... Bye bye bolt!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Don't shoot me, but GM markets a penetrating lube called "Heat Valve" in the parts dept which works really awesome. I also am partial to CRC Breakaway too.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

·
Registered
672 Posts
PB Blaster all the way!!!!

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Impact wrench and 6 point sockets. Can we say more power? If you know how to use it heat from a torch is good too! (propane isn't hot enough).

MotorHead

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The Navy here in San Diego uses generic "oil of wintergreen" (available at your local pharmacy) as a penetrant on bolts and nuts that are corroded by sea water. Try it. I have, and it really works. Give it time to soak thru and use multiple applications. Then the tap, tap, tap method really helps. A lot of taps works better than a few bangs. Good Luck.

65 Conv., 65 & 66 Coupes and the remains of
a 66' Coupe with 6 cyl. engine and V-8 3 spd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts