Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fitting the rear floor panels on my 67 convertible. As I was doing that I noticed a small tab of metal (maybe 2"X2") on the front inner wheel well. It was pretty rusted, so I just broke it off figuring I'd fix it later. I looked in the hole with a shop light, and the hole leads right into the frame (adjacent to the rocker). There was what I would describe as sheets of rust in there. I removed most of it, and the frame seems sound, but a little rough on the inside. The outside is smooth and rust free. Is this anything to worry about? The frames obviously had some significant rusting from the inside. Has anyone seen this, or does anyone know how thick the frames were to start? Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its a commen problem on 65/73 Mustangs. And yes it needs to be fixed if the rust is as bad as you say. Lucky for you you can get any frame parts you need for a 67. Its real hard to find front frame rails for my year of car I have a 72 Mach1 but its rust free thank god

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have a bad problem with a rusty frame on my 67 vert, but as stated above, we luckily can just about buy every single peice of frame for our cars, the most expensive being a "rear torque box". Havent looked for one on my 67, but I sure hope its in good shape. Anyways, I recommend replacing any and all suspected rusty frame work, if the rust is a) on the inside or b) eaten a hole in a part or parts of the frame, then I would definatly get those parts replaced/repaired. All of our structural integrity comes from our floor and subframes in our converts. A couple extra bucks now, could save you major dollars down the road.
Just my 2 cents from one 67 vert owner to another.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts