Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really appreciate all the information on this site, and I hope my car can help someone going through similar stuff.

All that being said; while I've worked on cars professionally all my life, this old car stuff can frustrate the best of techs.
I hope my less than spectacular project and progress are a help or at least entertainment to others in the classic Mustang world.

Enjoy the chaos!!

The day I bought it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when I bought it, I knew it had a bad clutch cable. I patched it and managed to drive the car a few miles before needing to have it towed. the previous pic was taken waiting for the wrecker. A 150$ cable and 2 mile test drive later, I figured out the long tube headers were overheating the nylon inner jacket of the Modern Driveline T-5 cable. Game on!! A ton of research and another 150$ later.... I ended up with log manifolds and Magnaflow 2.5" adapters. Problem solved! Only a few thousand more to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17x8 Thanks for looking., 2nd66, I love your build thread and used it for tire selection

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFTER I bought it (read: LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!) I noticed the front tires just didn't seem to sit right. The left rubbed and the right was way under the fender. So I found this... If you can't see the bend , the right frame rail is bent

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So luckily since I saved these pics, 3 months worth of work can be shown. Unplanned above all the other work needed. Excuse the messy garage and shoddy welds!!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh and let's not forget the surprise cracked floor support on the other side...It's all in but can't find pics of all million plug welds

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here it is after reassembly and new front tires. The P.O had way small tires on the front because they rubbed I guess. The new ones are 225 45 17 which will go all 4 corners eventually so they can be rotated. Car rolls straight and no rubs now. My thanks for the frame pics I found on this forum. Now I can get started!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,861 Posts
Welcome to the board,...what are the Build plans?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the board,...what are the Build plans?
Thanks, supermod! I will post pics of more stuff soon. I have acquired an 88 5.0 GT complete for a full EFI resto mod complete with A/C and rolling restoration to a period correct color. I plan to drive the car with limited down time as I check projects off the list. My guestimate is at least 2 more years. (picture is a dream simulation!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pics of '88 donor car. Although ugly and weather-worn, this car is all factory 2 owner believe it or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The '88 "combover" is finally out...

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Engine pics

I know it is slow and uninteresting. But I know if someone is polite enough to look at my work in progress, I should at least post pics! Engine and trans are separated and engine is partially stripped. I am glad to report that every bolt came out as if the engine was new (despite it's appearance). Factory clutch looked like it would have worked had I just dropped it in. This engine is truly as perfect as they get so far. The gasket and seal kit is ordered, and the journey continues...

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,521 Posts
Nice work! Are you planning on keeping the serpentine setup? I did and love it. There’s a good routing method for the belt that keeps the AC compressor but deletes the smog pump and power steering. There are lots of ways to handle it, but that’s what I did.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Absolutely on factory serpentine, Blake! You wouldn't believe the trouble I've had with matching vbelt pulleys. I found this on some 5.0 site I think:

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No doubt. The current 302 runs well, except for valve train woes due to the self guiding rockers on these '76 heads. I weighed the options of a teardown with machine work/new heads and decided to go the smooth power way with the roller motor.I just lucked up on finding a virtually untouched FI motor donor car. I owned an unmolested (except by my foot!) '92 5.0 LX for years until I lost it to progression of life (READ: kids...) That car was so much fun and trouble free, it was a no-brainer to go that way with this car since it was rather hacked up and not a rare or highly optioned car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Little steps keep us motivated!

I was able to do a little work while on break at work. Eliminated the power steering section of the A/C bracket. I think it looks much cleaner and less intrusive! I also cut the smog pump hangers from the alternator/auto-tensioner bracket, but I'm trying to make it pretty before I post pics.After and before shown respectively.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 145 Posts