Vintage Mustang Forums banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Life moves along...

So I've had a little distraction lately...69 Mach I.... I tell you though, the "other project" makes me love this car even more. I get in it and drive when I want; I only get to look at and work on the "new" one. Yeah it looks like crap, but I'm the only one I see driving one to work. And I must say, the A/C added to the fuel injection makes it so much better. Like a real car. Got to a stoplight yesterday, 92 degrees out, windows up.. Old guy on my left in his Toyota: nod, thumbs up; look to the right, old guy in his pickup: thumbs up. Cracked the throttle and left everybody behind.
Life is Rusty, but life is good!

I may be an old guy too? Don't know when that happens...
(maybe when you have the time and space for 2 classic Mustangs?)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Fan upgrade

Commuting in the heat exposed the weakness of my pre-condenser fan(Idling would allow the temp to rise to 220* +). I installed a 16in 3000cfm cheapo ebay fan, and appear to have solved the issue. Posted a thread on mod and custom forum to see if anyone had run into this.

Before and after pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Addressing the rear window

The 66 will go bye-bye, but I would like it to be a little better for the next guy. Unlike me, the PO really stuck it to me (literally) with the rear window. A Disintegrating window seal that was not contributing to the window staying in was supplemented by some sticky, gooey, white "stuff". Here's some before...

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Rear window panel

This part was pretty easy to remove compared to stuff in the front. There are no repro panels for alot of the damage, so I'm going to make patches. The panel removed and ospho'd..

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
We did weld; just took 2 months to post!! No real in between pics. Panel looks good. Used metal/ polymer filler (good stuff;hard as stone!) to smooth the end gaps and the few pinholes. Happy to say the 66 has been on the road while the 69 is in surgery.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Looks good...one of the few pieces of sheet metal I decided not to replace on mine(along with the roof itself). I have found Goodmark(like other repops) to be hit or miss...the rear floor pan extensions took some work to make fit around the wheelhouse radius area(but goodmark was the only one offering them with the parking brake channels that I could find at the time)...but front pan extensions were just about perfect

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Looks good...one of the few pieces of sheet metal I decided not to replace on mine(along with the roof itself). I have found Goodmark(like other repops) to be hit or miss...the rear floor pan extensions took some work to make fit around the wheelhouse radius area(but goodmark was the only one offering them with the parking brake channels that I could find at the time)...but front pan extensions were just about perfect
Thanks, I really wasn't expecting much with this cheap part. Even with the related rust repair and a PO installed quarter that's a little twisted, I'd call it as close to a perfect fit as any aftermarket piece. Very surprisingly,no hassle with the window or trim other than the goo "they" used to stick the trim to the disintegrated old window seal, and no tabs for the trim on the new panel. (I siliconed it in due to time, budget and condition of the lower trim).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
The 66 is going up for sale to finance the 69 :(. Meantime, the worn front springs have laid the fenders on the tires, virtually making the car unable to carry a passenger. I decided to install the Scott Drake 1" drop springs. I really couldn't be happier with the results...

141 - 149 of 149 Posts