Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the roads salted there? I know there are certain areas that tend to produce rusty 30+ year old cars, but is NC known for this? I'm from the west coast and have never been farther east than St. Louis (seriously salted roads when I lived there!), so I don't know what to expect from a car from the east. This would be regarding a '69 sportsroof... TIA

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
everything in the east rusts..salt or no salt..especially in the more humid south eastern climates..such as N.C.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I bought a Mach 1 that came from NC. It was amazingly rust-free underneath, but there wasn't enough history on the car to judge why it was so solid. As Teebone says, any of the eastern cars could be rusty due to humidity, proximity to the seashore, or salt on the roads. I think you will find that North and South Carolina are probably better sources than other eastern states, but you still need to exercise caution if you are considering a car from either state.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I bought a 69 that came from North Carolina 10 years ago. It was originally from Fl. and it only had one spot in one floor and all body panels were mostly rust free. I bought a car from Calif. a year ago and depending on where they have resided for their lifetime they will rust as well. So it just depends on location . Suggest getting plenty of pics if You can't personally check it out or have someone on here do it for You. Everbody is always willing to help!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are you'all talking bad about my State???
We don't have many places where we salt the roads, unless it is in the Mountains...But, we have this thing called the Atlantic ocean at our front door. And we have a lot of humidity.....There are some rust-free cars here, but, not like out west in the desert.....we have rusty cars, also/
We also have hurricanes, and these sometimes get our cars a little wet, also....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,756 Posts
I consider North Carolina to be the beginning of the rust line. In the west you have the Blue Ridge Mountains, in the east the shoreline. It's surprising the difference between South and North Carolina. Right on the state line on I 26 is a STEEP hill. Ask any long-haul trucker about the "Saluda grade" and watch them roll their eyes. The difference in altitude gives about a 10 degree difference year round. This means that when Greenville SC gets snow that looks like a light case of dandruff while 50 (or so) miles north, Henderson NC has the salt trucks and plows going full strength trying to keep the roads open.
NC has nowhere near the salt problems of Maine or say, Rhode Island. But they use it.
That said, my car came from just over the NC line about the middle of the state. I've got light to average rust. Fenders, rear wheel wells, cowl, and of course the floors were wiped out. Nothing a determined amateur couldn't handle. So far, anyway.
So watch out for rust, but don't write off all cars from NC. Mustangs never were the first choice of winter vehicles. I never let SWMBO drive hers in snow, nor does she want to.
Some Mustangs managed to avoid most of the salt, no matter where they are. Any 69 FB is worth checking out at least.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Rust never sleeps. Had one Mustang that spent it's entire life in Austin Texas, the cowl pan went out and took the floors with it. I replaced it with another Austin car that spent it's entire life in Austin and Phoenix. Guess what! Cowl and Floors.

G

·
0 Posts
I live in So.calif,and a couple of years ago i checked out a 67 GT 350 orig owner,orig calif car,i thought no big deal how much rot could it have?
it sure did shock me!!.turned out the guy used to live at the beach and you can guess the rest.you could check the depth of the tire tread thru the top of the fenders!! the body was wasted beyond repair,so........
i bought it anyway[for the parts!!.]
just cause its from calif ,dosent mean rust free.

Dave

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure of that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My fastback came from NC and the only rust was the bottom of the front fenders and bottom front of the doors where crap sits. Both were fairly minor repairs. Even the cowl is solid on my car and the floorpans perfect.

G

·
0 Posts
As far as North Carolina goes...Here is my opinion.

Having lived in a lot of the states in question here...I may have some help for you. I grew up in North Carolina, Live in Connecticut for 4 years, then So Cal. for 2 years, now back in RI for now. I'm looking for a job in Northern Cal next.

Rust...really depends on how the car was taken car of and where in the state it was. North Carolina may be bad for rust. If it was close to the water...bet on rust.

As far as Northern cars...I would disagree with the rust concept. Now granted...it gets cold and snows a lot. But after you get below 20-25 degrees salt doesn't help, so most municipalities do not use salt, especially those close to water due to salt run off. Most use a combination of sand and rocks (and it sucks when you get hit by one). I bought my 65 mustang in Mass. Surprisingly little rust. In the south they through salt on everything and expect it to help. If it doesn't...they through more salt on it. No offense to southerners (as I am one...or used to be...or something like that) but most local governments do not know how to deal with winter weather (except mountains).

So to summarize my rambling...

Like others said...GET PICTURES...AND LOTS OF THEM...if they hesitate on getting pictures...they are probably trying to hide something. Most people that hav a good car are not afraid to take lots of pictures.

Don't assume that certain regions are worse then others (except the upper midwest...michigan...yuck).

SLADE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts